Thread: Bad shutter, but too bad?

Bad shutter, but too bad?

I have been offered a 90mm 6,8 Grandagon, which I need (want), glass in mint shape, but the shutter is a little off. 1 sec is a little longer than normal, and faster speeds sound healthy except for 1/60 which is always something like 1/4 of a sec. Is it worthwhile too offer on this lens and send it for repair, if it is a brief and inexpensive one, or better let it go and look for another one? What do you think? Thanks.

Re: Bad shutter, but too bad?

Quote Originally Posted by sergiob View Post
    I have been offered a 90mm 6,8 Grandagon, which I need (want), glass in mint shape, but the shutter is a little off. 1 sec is a little longer than normal, and faster speeds sound healthy except for 1/60 which is always something like 1/4 of a sec. Is it worthwhile too offer on this lens and send it for repair, if it is a brief and inexpensive one, or better let it go and look for another one? What do you think? Thanks.
    If the price is appropriate, don't worry about it. In the U.S., the cleaning and lubrication that is probably all this shutter needs would cost under $100. Build that into the price you are willing to pay. There is always risk in buying used stuff, but I've bought lenses in shutters that I knew needed work when the price was right.

Rick "shutters are hard to kill" Denney