Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kalart RF for 203 Ektar?

Kalart RF for 203 Ektar?

Can the Kalart RF be adjusted to use with a 203 mm Ektar?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Kalart RF for 203 Ektar?

On which camera?

The longest lens listed in my Kalart book is 6 3/8" (162mm), so probably not.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Yes. I was able to adjust a Kalart that I mounted on a top-rangefinder Speed Graphic for an Ilex Paragon 8-1/2" lens--longer than the Ektar. (Yes, my Speed now has two rangefinders--on for 127mm and one for 8-1/2".) It was right at the limits of one of the adjustments, though, and I might get a slightly more accurate adjustment if I file out the middle-distance adjustment slot just a touch. The near range (10ish feet) and infinity were perfect. You should not have a problem with the 8" Ektar.

But you must be really meticulous when making the adjustments, and take everything in the right order. It took me several tries to get it to work. I discovered that the position of the following arm on the rangefinder pin is critical--I mean critical--to making use of the full range of motion of the rangefinder needed for long lenses. My rangefinder did not have a flat filed on its input shaft, so I was able to reposition that arm as needed, though that was excessively fiddly. If it has a flat, and the flat is not exactly in the right spot, you'll have to "reshape" that arm slightly. The arm will turn on is pressed-in bushing, but doing so makes it loosen up and it becomes unreliable. If you do end up turning the arm on the bushing, you'll need to use a rivet die to reset the riveted connection.

Rick "whose next project for that Kalart is installing a pet-toy laser in the Focus Spot housing" Denney

I have an Anniversary Speed Graphic that I use with a 8" Dallmeyer Pentac. I could just barely get the rangefinder adjusted for the lens. I felt that I was at the limit of the adjustments. A 203mm lens will probably work. I suspect that the reason they never put rangefinders on the 5x7 Speed Graphic was the problems in adjusting the rangefinder for 210mm lenses.

The length of the follower arm has some bearing on the issue. My Meridian is at it's limit with a 210mm plasmat but works albeit about a 6' minimum RF focus (that it works at all is perhaps due to a slightly longer lever than is mounted on other Kalart equipped cameras? Not sure but Meridians do have just a shade larger body than Crowns and Speeds.)

The factory Kalart manual lists starting settings for various focal length lenses. The longest one listed is 165mm on a 4x5 camera, which implies either than it won't handle something in the 200's or else they figured nobody would be doing it. I suspect there is an appropriate bed scale you could use for a longer lens if the rangefinder can't handle it.

I think if you tried the longest suggested initial setting of 165mm you might find that you could get the rangefinder accurate at least at infinity and some shorter distance, even if it won't be on for the usual reference points. You'd have to try that to see if it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    The factory Kalart manual lists starting settings for various focal length lenses. The longest one listed is 165mm on a 4x5 camera, which implies either than it won't handle something in the 200's or else they figured nobody would be doing it. I suspect there is an appropriate bed scale you could use for a longer lens if the rangefinder can't handle it.
    They did that so people could reset the rangefinder for the lenses they could buy for a press camera. If you calibrate based comparing the ground glass to where the rangefinder converges, you have many more choices than what is listed for specific lenses in their literature.

Rick "not guessing" Denney

Yeah, I understand that and I've done it many times. Those numbers are expressly starting points, to be sure, as I stated before. But the adjustment manual does not state the range of focal lengths that the rangefinder can handle, and it doesn't give you a starting point for anything longer than 165mm. I think this implies, as I said, that it either won't work or they didn't think anybody would be trying that. I think it was a relatively rare thing back then that somebody using a press camera as a press camera would be using a 8 inch lens on it. The unmolested 4X5s seem to come with the 127 Ektar or the 135 Schneider most of the time. But there are certainly some out there with the longer Ektars -- 152 and 203.

Unless you have actually been able to calibrate it for a 200+ mm lens, then I think this time you are Rick "sort of guessing" Denney. If you've done it successfully...then the answer is: you can. I thought about giving it a try, but since I finally got mine rock solid at all distances for a 135mm lens, the PITA factor is pretty high. Adjusting one of these is definitely the kind of thing you really want to leave alone when you get it right.

I suspect if this question is posted on the Graphlex.org site somebody can nail the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    But the adjustment manual does not state the range of focal lengths that the rangefinder can handle...
    Because that question cannot be answered.

It depends on the Flange Focal Length of the individual lens, which is not the same as its optical focal length.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.