Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May Need Help

May Need Help

So I just got back from up north and tried for the second time in my life working with a Large Format Monorail Camera * cambo with 150mm lens*

Film is still to be processed but I wanted to post first so if this film is *genius level* then I do not want any doubting Thomas types slagging me , as trying to set you up.

It was just raining very flat light, I want to shoot a series of Pine trees that are along a path.
    Now here is the problem , how do I keep the front tree , middle tree , and far tree in focus. Let alone standing straight, boy using these cameras is hard.
    I figured out that the only thing I could do was to keep the camera level, trees straight and close the lens way , way down as well focus on the first tree .
    I used the sunny f 16 method for metering which in my estimation was around 2 second at f32.5 to 6 sec f32.5. If I am off next purchase will be a light meter, but for now I will try to use brain calculations.

I will post my results tommorow or wed and would like the lens/largeformat/geek heads give a critique and possible suggestions where I went wrong.

Should I used swings , tilts , shimfugs, stand on my head, wider lens, longer lens, or should I just give up and keep printing.

So I will post images asap and get ready for wise advice.

Re: May Need Help

hey Bob,

this was the same question that I had, and almost the same situation !

you might want to do some reading up on the "scheimpflug" principle, its very straight forward, and it allows creative freedom, or correction(depending on your vision for the photograph) to give you what you want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle

there's also pretty good video(albeit it deals with a studio subject, but the principle is the same as in the field), here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4m70xr9mE

cheers!

-Dan

Focus would normally be placed about 1/3 of the way into the scene that you want in focus. The DoF grows in both directions as you stop down (forwards and away from the plane of focus, but twice as fast away as forwards). So by focusing on the first tree, we'll just have to see if the last tree is in focus sufficiently for the size you want to print. If one is to err, you erred in the right direction. Out of focus backgrounds are easier to look at than out of focus foregrounds.

Probably, no tilt would have helped you. Standing on your head might have helped get blood to your brain.

No idea about your exposure -- depends too much on the film ASA, time of day and how much out in the open the scene was. Develop one neg and use the results to determine if you need to increase or decrease development time to increase or decrease (respectively) contrast for other similarily exposed negs.

Looking forward to the results!

Vaughn

Bob,
    We are not "Geek heads".
    We just know more than you.
    If you are asking forum members for help or assistance and advice do not "take the piss" as we say in England. If you doubt that we are better than you watch the World Cup match on Saturday. That is "The World Cup" Football competition, not inferior imitations.
    Good luck on Saturday, Ha, Ha, Ha.
    Pete.

Ok

so I saw the film and the exposure was nothing short of brilliant.. Who said, I don't need no stikin lightmeter, what would happen if it broke.

So I am going to scan tonight and tommorow morning and put up an image for serious deliberation.... I do need you large format geek heads to help with the fineses.

What is the World Cup?? Is in not being finalized tommorow night in Philidelphia by one of the Original Six.

Bobby Hull is my hero

Bob

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Now here is the problem , how do I keep the front tree , middle tree , and far tree in focus.
    Hey Bob;

If the trees are behind each other in a line or alternating left and right sides there's no much yah ken doo, just stop down but I'd probably focus a little behind the first tree. If they're in a row but all to the left or all to the right then you can Scheimpflug a little and stop down.

Should I stand on my head, ....
    If it can take the weight! Actually if you stand on your head the GG will have the scene right side up which may actually help you with that othe rproblem you're having...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post

Bobby Hull is my hero

Bob
    I thought the greatest ever was your hero!.....Bobby...Orr!!!!!!!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Ya but Boston isn't playing so lets give some kudos to the Hull Brothers and son.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    I thought the greatest ever was your hero!.....Bobby...Orr!!!!!!!

Ok Its eight pm, I got to the lab at 3. film has been processed , and low rez scan are done.
    I am going home, but will post tommorow a couple of images, with a few thoughts and observation.

First off I am addicted to large film, impatience will cause major problems.

After 35 years of printing and some photography, the sunny f16 rule works like a dream,
    I think my position of focus is off, as though the first tree is super sharp the trees in the background are not what I want.
    I believe Richard and Vaughn are both correct , I now have to decide where that point of focus will be using the 1/3 2/3 rule of DOF but exactly where with confidence would I foucus, shit I need some polaroid.
    As well I am beginning to think a wider lens will give me a greater depth of field. IE a 135mm or 90mm over the 150.
    As Richard suggests there are trees on both sides , therefore closing down the lens is really the only option, I did go down to 32.5 on a minimum f45 lens.

This is lots of fun, but rather expensive to blow through all this film and conclude that I have to reshoot.

I will post images in the AM

Bob,
    as you've realized, processing and printing your own images causes one to become far more heavily invested emotionally. Good luck on your re-emergence...