Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought Gaoersi 4x5... and little help needed

Just bought Gaoersi 4x5... and little help needed

Recently bought Gaoersi 4x5 camera with 4 adapters ( for 58mm, 65mm, 90mm and 150mm lens). Pictures are in attachments below.
    Trying to choose proper lens I have found few problems:

1) As you can see on the pictures 90mm adapter has larger hole then the others (Copal 1 size , I think). Is there any possibility to use Copal 0 lens on them? As I know there is only one 90mm lens on the market with Copal1 size ( Grandagon 90mm/4.5) , very heavy and very expensive. Is it any remedy for this? Can I exchange front element (with hole) from another adapter?

2) On Gaoersi website (http://www.gaoersi-camera.com/htm.php?nowmenuid=4126) "Lenses Can Use" there is no lens 65mm ?! Is it true? I have 65mm adapter produced by Gaoersi company...and I belive they made it for some lens, question is which one?

No answer from Gaoersi Company on my e-mail with these questions.

This Forum is my last hope...

I'm looking for somebody who can help me...

Sorry for my poor english

Lachlan 717

Re: Just bought Gaoersi 4x5... and little help needed

Dingoman,

It would be a pretty easy process to get an adaptor made up to fill in the area around the Copal 0 to shim it up to 1 diameter. Think of this as a "washer" in design; a thin circle that fills out the gap. You will need to check that the flange that holds the lens against the mount touches the mount (i.e. holds the lens in place), otherwise a new one might be needed.

As for the 65mm mount, have you tried it? If you mount the 65mm on the 65mm cone, and you can focus, then they do make one!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Dingoman,

It would be a pretty easy process to get an adaptor made up to fill in the area around the Copal 0 to shim it up to 1 diameter. Think of this as a "washer" in design; a thin circle that fills out the gap. You will need to check that the flange that holds the lens against the mount touches the mount (i.e. holds the lens in place), otherwise a new one might be needed.

As for the 65mm mount, have you tried it? If you mount the 65mm on the 65mm cone, and you can focus, then they do make one!!
    Lachlan, problem is I'v got NO LENS at all...
    I"m just starting in LF business.

I like your "washer" idea...
    I want to collect, as many information, as I can before purchasing any lens.
    Anyway, thank you for such a fast responce!

Lachlan 717

Where are you based? Someone might have one that you can try.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Where are you based? Someone might have one that you can try.
    I live in Poland ,Gdansk city.

MF/LF Newbie

If you bought it on the ebay just a couple of weeks ago, you are a lucky, lucky man. If its the sale I was following the bidding was so low I was very tempted myself. The accessories alone (adapters and finders) cannot be bought (new) for twice the price the whole kit went for.

Good luck, I canīt imagine how much fun you can have with that nice piece of kit.

MF/LF Newbie

I have a Gaoersi helicoid (as are mounted on all your lens adapters). Iīve a Fujinon 90mm f8 on a Copal #0 shutter mounted on it, and the helicoid is as you say, slightly oversize. I centered mine as best I could and tightened the lens well, it hasnīt budged yet. But Iīll be considering Lachlanīs idea myself, as it will no doubt shift sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
    If you bought it on the ebay just a couple of weeks ago, you are a lucky, lucky man. If its the sale I was following the bidding was so low I was very tempted myself. The accessories alone (adapters and finders) cannot be bought (new) for twice the price the whole kit went for.

Good luck, I canīt imagine how much fun you can have with that nice piece of kit.
    Yes, I bought it on ebay few weeks ago....
    Ezzie, you said, I'm lucky man? Not yet, I'm still waiting for my first lens (it will be old super angulon 90/8)...And then we will see... What Gaoersi do you have?

Being a #1 shutter opening, it was probably intended for the Rodenstock 90/4.5 Grandagon... that's the only 90mm that comes with a #1 shutter. Fortunately, there is less than 1mm difference in FFD, so the Cone Assembly will likely work.

As for affixing the #0 lens/shutter in the #1 opening... you'll definitely need a properly machined adapter ring.

MF/LF Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dingoman View Post
    Yes, I bought it on ebay few weeks ago....
    Ezzie, you said, I'm lucky man? Not yet, I'm still waiting for my first lens (it will be old super angulon 90/8)...And then we will see... What Gaoersi do you have?
    I donīt. I have built my own P+S 4x5/6x12 and bought a helicoid separately, thatīs why I know they are not cheap. For each lens adapter/helicoid/viewfinder combination new, youīd be more than $250 the poorer. And you got 4! Thatīs why I said you were lucky.
    Ezzie, aka Eirik Russell Roberts
    MF/LF newbie