Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seneca Improved View Lensboard Design/Installation?

Seneca Improved View Lensboard Design/Installation?

Hi, all -

I'm rehabbing a Seneca Improved View 8x10 right now, and have just refinished the front standard:

Now, I have a Seneca Competitor 5x7, and installing the lensboard is a matter of turning two little stops, placing the board in the standard, then twisting the stops to lock the board in place. The Imporved View, though, has no twisting stops, and no sliding bar. So, even though I'm sure this is painfully obvious to most, I'm at a loss as to how the board is designed to go in.

Anyone have one of these that can enlighten me? This camera had a little metal bar installed by a previous owner to act as a twisting lock. I removed that ugly thing in reworking the standard...

Thanks,
    Scott

Dave Karp

Re: Seneca Improved View Lensboard Design/Installation?

This is how the board on my WP Improved Seneca works:

The opening for the lensboard is smaller than the height of the board. Slide the board up into the slot in the top of the opening. Make sure the bottom of the board can now slide down into the bottom slot. Once this is done, the board is "trapped" by the slots.

Ok, David, that makes sense. Can you tell me if there's a lip around the inside edge of the board, or is it a single thickness?

Thanks,
    Scott

Dave Karp

There is a lip.

Thanks, David. For future reference, I made a flat board of 1/8" stock - the board is just shy of 4-3/4" wide by 4-5/8" high. Looks like a 3/16" or 1/4" rabbet around the edge will allow it to slide in and out. Total thickness around 1/4" to 5/16" will work.

Dave Karp

Later, I will dig out my Seneca lensboard and will give you the measurements.

Someone modified my Improved Seneca for two little twisting stops. I guess they did not trust the factory system.

I think the factory setup is a good one, but if my quick-and-dirty lensboard is any indication, the tolerances on dimensions for this style are way tighter than with other modes. Gotta be right, gotta be square. Any slop, and it'll fall out. Good thing I'm making the lensboards...

funkadelic

My Seneca 6B (5x7) is not designed for easily changeable lensboards. My front standard looks like a similar design as yours, but smaller. The lens that it came with is the only one I've used with it. Swapping the lensboard would involve a screwdriver and some patience to remove 4 screws of either the top or bottom retainer.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    My Seneca 6B (5x7) is not designed for easily changeable lensboards. My front standard looks like a similar design as yours, but smaller. The lens that it came with is the only one I've used with it. Swapping the lensboard would involve a screwdriver and some patience to remove 4 screws of either the top or bottom retainer.
    Chris, it sounds like someone replaced the board with one too large to slide in and out, again thinking it'd be more secure. You could trim the top of that board to size it correctly, or get some new ones made...