Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flare, LF or lens problem?

Stefan

Flare, LF or lens problem?

Im new to large format. Im hoping to use my Crown Graphic with a Fujinon NW 125/5.6 (multicoated) for some night time urban photography. After shooting the picture below, Im a bit concerned that including streetlights might lead to serious flare...

Are large format lenses in general more prone to flare than smaller format lenses? Is the problem this specific lens? Bright light sources in the frame should of course be avoided, but Ive not had problems like this before.

Octogenarian

Re: Flare, LF or lens problem?

Looks like multiple interior reflections of the aperture off of the surfaces of the lens elements.

Are you using any type of filter on the lens? If so, don't use one.

Use a lens hood, and make sure the lens elements are clean and free from defects.

I've never experienced flare like that, and I've used many large format lenses under similar circumstances.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Looks like multiple interior reflections of the aperture off of the surfaces of the lens elements.

Are you using any type of filter on the lens? If so, don't use one.

Use a lens hood, and make sure the lens elements are clean and free from defects.

I've never experienced flare like that, and I've used many large format lenses under similar circumstances.
    Thank you for your reply. I myself have not seen anything quite like this either. I did not use any filters at the time (I know they can cause issues). I did not use a hood, but Im pretty sure it would not have affected flare since the light sources are in the frame.

The lens elements are perfectly clean now, but there was a light mist when I took that photo, I wonder if there was possibly some water/condensation or something on the lens at the time? It sounds a bit far out...

I would bet on something like raindrops on your lens. My LF-experience is limited but I got this kind of ghosting while shooting (35mm) in the rain (or shooting soccer-players celebrating the victory with sparkling wine).

Octogenarian

The light mist when you made the photograph is probably the culprit.

Water vapor on the lens elements can cause that type of effect.

Quote Originally Posted by engl View Post
    Im new to large format. Im hoping to use my Crown Graphic with a Fujinon NW 125/5.6 (multicoated) for some night time urban photography. After shooting the picture below, Im a bit concerned that including streetlights might lead to serious flare...
    If the light of a bright source hits the surface of a lens in a certain angle, the border angle of total reflexion, you will always get such flare images of the aperture. Multicoating only helps to get sharp images of the aperture pictures.

This can only avoided by moving the camera etc. Or used as a creative effect as often seen in movies and TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post

Lens hood only helps eliminate light that is coming from out of the lens view angle. For a light source fully present in the lens view it doesn't do anything.

Octogenarian

GPS,

Read the second half of my statement.

After 64 years of photographing. I am well aware of the function of a lens hood.

Extraneous light can come from anywhere during a night shot. A lens hood will help to limit the incoming light to the light on the subject.

For example, TV cameras always use a lens hood.

It helps to prevent passing car lights, a flash light etc. from affecting the shot.

Gem, I read your statement. Although "light come from anywhere during a night shot" it was not the case in the presented picture. No lens hood would remove the reflection from it. If you're interested in giving advice about things not related to the OP problem, do so, write at your will...

Octogenarian

I didn't state that a lens hood will remove the type of flare that the OP is experiencing.

I said it can prevent that type of flare.