Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Sur Favorites?

Big Sur Favorites?

Going next month. Any favorite spots?

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Re: Big Sur Favorites?

Start off in Point Lobos, just past Carmel on Highway 1. Make sure you photograph Weston Beach so you can say you've done it. There's also some nice cypress trees and quite a bit of birds and other sea life. Just down the road is Garrapata State Park, a series of pull-outs for about 10 miles along Highway 1. Here's where all the classic "Big Sur Coast, Rocks and Surf" type pictures are shot. There's quite a few coves and coastal nooks and crannies to explore; lots of room for macro and abstract work. If you like bridges, Bixby Bridge is about 15 miles or so south of Carmel- another classic coastal landscape shot. Continuing south, there's Julia Pfieffer Burns, with the classic waterfall on the beach shot. There's also a number of less well known state parks. I've really only explored the northern half in depth, which is where most of the iconic photo locations are. There are many scenic vistas as well as great material for closeups, so you really can't go wrong along Highway 1. Just watch out for the crazy drivers doing 70 over the blind hairpin turns!
    Brian Vuillemenot

What Brian says, however, take a break from photography and visit the Henry Miller Library after a leisurely lunch at Nepenthe. Have fun, I know you will!

Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing is good place for fresh fish
    The Falls at Lime Kiln will likely have corked out by now Unless you hear reports to the contrary I wouldn't bother, but if they are running there's a very cool view.
    Ragged Point at the South end is a place where you can stand out on the lawn on top of the cliffs and let the wind pummel you and feel happy (just don't set up your tripod or your LF camera will likely go airborne!)
    Not in Big Sur, but I find that photos of that 10' tall concrete artichoke in Castroville are always crowd pleasers!

...and don't forget to try the french toast at Em-lys in Carmel!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Take your Johnny Rivers "Realization" album for the car. :-)

Richard M. Coda

All of the above. I also like some of the less touristy spots in Monterey... the Fisherman's wharf (not the tourist one). And for non-photographic relaxation, get a bottle of wine, something good to eat and take it down to Carmel Beach at sunset.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Thanks all, I'm talking a little further South, like Jade Beach, etc.

Thanks for all the invites too!

Dunes at Montana de Oro, Elephant Seals on the beaches S. of San Simeon. If you've got a 4wd there are some cool fire break roads that will take you high above the coastline above the Port of San Luis.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

the waterfall into the ocean at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. and Pfeiffer Beach in Big Sur

Get Douglas Steakley's book, "The Photographer's Guide to the California Coast." Set your odometer to 0 at the Carmel River Bridge and proceed down Highway 1. I live here and have found it to be quite helpful. Don't miss the Calla Lilies at mile 9.6 although they may be finished for the season by now. Take in the "hole" at Pfieffer Beach at sunset.