Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Divided Procat HD

Re: Divided Procat HD

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Walter: Congratulations and thanks ! Your patience and persistence are helping us all.

Sandy: What does the wetting agent do, if it is applied in solution A ? Does it promote absorption of solution A into the film emulsion ?

If that is the case, would a longer pre-soak accomplish the same thing ?

Given that films have dyes which are removed in pre-soak, would it be helpful to perform more than one pre-soak, or to perform pre-soak with a large volume of water ?

What is the difference between a wetting agent (which breaks up surface tension in water), and something that changes the pH of the water ?

Walter - Are you sure the streaking in the first photo, isn't really a rare 'double twister" in the sky ? Also, could you share with us the Zone values for your photo ? I'm very interested in how things play out doing landscape photography. Did you use a filter for separation in the clouds ?
    Walter,

Ken,

So far as I know the wetting agent does not promote absorption of Solution A into the emulsion. Rather, it releases the surface tension and allows Solution A to spread over the surface of the negative instead of pooling or streaking in one area as some liquids tend to do after they drain. If Solution A drains in streaks this could result in uneven development because Solution B would come into contact with uneven amounts of Solution A.

And no, I don't believe a longer pre-soak would accomplish the same thing as the wetting agent.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Ken

This is not a double twister, the negatives were exposed within 10 seconds of each other. I flipped the first negative on the JOBO reel on purpose just to see the difference. The shadows to the left of the shed were placed on zone III the brightest cloud was placed on XII I used no filter.

Walter

Sorry, I was joking about a double twister
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 5-Sep-2018 at 16:52.

Those steaks are where the negative contacted or nearly contacted the ribs of the drum. Consequentaly the chemicals surged at the ribs leaving the steaks.

Quote Originally Posted by walterb View Post
    Sandy
    Another test with my divided pyro. Changed the dilution to 1:20 both A & B 600 ml ea
    added 2ml of Kodak photo flo to the A. Developed both negatives at the same time 5 min ea., 1 min distilled water stop, 5 min tf4 fixer, 20 minutes wash distilled water.

I loaded one negative with the emulsion side to the outside on the JOBO reel, the other one was loaded correctly with the emulsion to the inside. The one loaded incorrectly shows streaking, the one loaded correctly show no blotches or streaking. I know it is only one negative but it appears that the photo flo has corrected the problem. This is the first time for me at least with no blotches.

Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Those steaks are where the negative contacted or nearly contacted the ribs of the drum. Consequentaly the chemicals surged at the ribs leaving the steaks.
    Likely correct, IMO.
    I have no love for the 2500 series sheet film holder.