Thread: MPP std. lense and board

dave shutter

Smile MPP std. lense and board

Hi,
    I have recently started this journey and would like to ad a "std" lense to the wide angle one that came with the camera, any thoughts/offers.
    Still looking for a suitable bag to lug the gear over the fells in!
    Any help appreciated

Re: MPP std. lense and board

Is it a MPP MicroTechnical or a MicroPress ? The latter uses Graflex Pacemaker lens boards.

Ian

... and the Mk1-7 Micro Technicals use square-edged lens panels, but the Mk8 uses smaller round-edged lens panels....

dave shutter

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Is it a MPP MicroTechnical or a MicroPress ? The latter uses Graflex Pacemaker lens boards.

Ian
    Micro Tech7 The lens board is square.
    Thanks for your reply

dave shutter

The camera is a Micro Tech. 7. the lense board is square.
    thanks for your reply,
    David

Hello Dave,

Welcome to our world.

I have used a LowePro super Trekker backpack for my field kit (Zone VI with three lenses and ten film holders . . .and all the other stuff!). Worked well for day hiking. Don't do that much any more though.

The BP is really good . . .but its BIG. I now use a large-ish 35mm camera bag that I got for very little at a pawn shop. It holds most of the gear I used to put into the BP, but travels more compactly in a car or plane and can sit on my lap if that is necessary. It is fairly non-descript and doesn't look "rich". I like this low profile approach.

The gear nests together with a few dividers. It has a great shoulder strap. If I have to carry it much further than a few shoulder changes . . .its too far. Check Edward Westen for the definitive statement on this philosophy.

Another alternative to a back pack that I have used is a heavy duty set of suit-case wheels bought at an airport. Works well in city-ish settings. Another transportation solution is to modify a golf bag cart. This works well in unpaved but still civilized areas like parks. I think one of the heavy duty baby strollers might do as well, but haven't tried that.

Cheers!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I like the tremendous bargains that many used LF lenses represent when bought used nowadays. My preference is for a 135mm for a standard lens, and so I have a Caltar IIN (rebranded Apo Rodenstock Sironar N) that's tack sharp, reasonably small and light. There are several brands of this lens-- a Sinaron version sometimes can be found. The Caltars are fairly common, and can often be found quite reasonably (common student lens along with the 210mm version). The Sironar-S version of this lens has slightly more coverage, is larger and heavier, and also has a higher price tag.

It's hard to go too far wrong on a "standard" focal length lens if it's in good condition with a well-cared-for shutter. They're all pretty good-- some are just stellar. (My little Caltar N is one such gem).

Another option would be to buy a lens from the era the camera was made. I bought a 150mm f4.5 Schneider Xenar from the 1950s/60s cheaply to use on my MPP MicroPress. I always shoot black and white so the lack of multicoating isn't much of an issue.