Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Bathroom/Darkroom Sink Question

DIY Bathroom/Darkroom Sink Question

I'm trying to set up a budget darkroom in my bathroom and am working on building a sink that would fit over my bathtub where I could (a) develop 8x10 contact prints and (b) tray-process 8x10 / 4x5 film.

The sink needs to accomodate at least 3 11x14 trays and should be somewhat easy to move around in case the land lord comes knocking. I'm using PVC for the frame so the final dimensions of the sink are somewhat flexible, but I am having a tough time finding an affordable sink. The closest one I've found was <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/15729-REG/Delta_62430_4_Foot_Econo_ABS.html#specifications> but I was hoping to find something < $100.

Does anyone have any creative (read: cheap) ideas for DIY sinks?? Or should I just suck it up and buy the sink from B&H??

One possibility that I was playing with was using metal gratings cut to my specifications but I don't feel to strongly about that idea.
    Last edited by J Ney; 24-May-2010 at 08:32. Reason: typo

Re: DIY Bathroom/Darkroom Sink Question

I would cut 4 1x12’s the width of the tub and put the trays on the boards. The 4th board is for a water bath tray. Glue rubber to the bottom where the boards touch the tub and you’re set. It won't get much cheaper than that.
    Jerome

PS You might also want some knee pads.

Peter

A sink is nice in a permanent darkroom, but since your setting up a portable darkroom, why not just keep your processed prints in the tray until you're ready to wash them, then take the tray to a sink?
    I did darkroom work for several years without a sink in the darkroom.
    Peter

Plywood and Cabot polymer work well too. You can cut the plywood to size, if there is no lip on the other side of the tub to put the edge of the plywood, you can make legs. Run a 1x3 or 2x3 along that edge or some other way to attach the legs to hold that side up. You can make another lip on the near side to contain any spills from going on the floor. Then, when finished, just pick it up and put it in the basement or behind the couch or whatever. It's flat so it can be stored. 1x12s will do the same thing.

You can go the the Home Depot or other home-center and buy "ClosetMaid", white coated wire shelving and cut it to size to fit over the tub, as needed. A strip of wood molding can act as a spacer to keep things level, if needed.

Use some "Plasti Dip" to coat the exposed wire ends from cutting so it doesn't scratch or leave rust stains on your tile.

Buy extra shelving and suspend it well above the tray area for drying prints.

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    A sink is nice in a permanent darkroom, but since your setting up a portable darkroom, why not just keep your processed prints in the tray until you're ready to wash them, then take the tray to a sink?
    I did darkroom work for several years without a sink in the darkroom.
    Peter
    This is exactly how Aaron Siskind worked.

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    You can go the the Home Depot or other home-center and buy "ClosetMaid", white coated wire shelving and cut it to size to fit over the tub, as needed. A strip of wood molding can act as a spacer to keep things level, if needed.

Use some "Plasti Dip" to coat the exposed wire ends from cutting so it doesn't scratch or leave rust stains on your tile.

Buy extra shelving and suspend it well above the tray area for drying prints.

Eli
    They sell caps to cover the cut ends of the wire shelving.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

LA Craigslist should have used sinks on occasion.

Instead of a sink, you just need a flat surface that is easy to clean up. One idea is to get a sheet of that styrofoam with foil facing at home depot and cut it to make a double layer. Then lay it over the tub. You can put the trays on newspaper which soaks up any spills, then throw the newpaper away after processing.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

A surface made of side by side 1x12s going from front to back on the tub. Easy to setup, take down and store.
    Or make the surface out of 1/2" plywood. This would be harder to setup and store than the 1x12s.
    You can make a temp drip lip on the front edge with a piece of 1x1 clamped to the wood surface.
    Then cover the surface and the drip lip with 6mil plastic sheet to prevent chemical getting into the wood.