Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tachihara 4x5 broken ground glass help!

Re: Tachihara 4x5 broken ground glass help!

Ian I would have recommended that but didn't know where you could get the grinding paste on short notice. I made my own and its been great.

Double.

Quote Originally Posted by JRFrench View Post
    Ian I would have recommended that but didn't know where you could get the grinding paste on short notice. I made my own and its been great.
    Well in an emergency fine valve grinding paste works OK and is readily available, but it's worth looking for a local lapidiary suppliers, or even a stone polishing club or college course.

You can re-grind the emergency screen later if necessary. I've just made a dozen screens this morning in under 2 hours.

Ian

Measure it and let us know what the exact size is. We are the Wista and Linhof distributor for the USA and have been told by several users that the Wista gg, frenels and cover glasses are a direct fit with the Tachihara ones. Except the Wista name is on the gg.

If so then you can easily get a replacement as we have them in stock. You can order it from your local dealer or call our service center, Marflex at 252 652-4401 or us at 800 735-4373.

Octogenarian

The Tachihara focusing screen consists of two pieces- a Fresnel made of plastic and a separate cover glass.

One side of the Fresnel has a frosted surface on which the image is projected. It replaces the standard ground glass.

The opposite side contains the fragile Fresnel grooves.

The OP stated that Fresnel did not break.What broke was the thin, clear glass that covered the Fresnel and served to protect the Fresnel grooves from damage.

The Tachihara cover glass is available in plain glass, or with a gridded pattern printed on the glass, from Badgergraphic.

Did I mis-read the OP's description of his problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Measure it and let us know what the exact size is. We are the Wista and Linhof distributor for the USA and have been told by several users that the Wista gg, frenels and cover glasses are a direct fit with the Tachihara ones. Except the Wista name is on the gg.
    Bob, is the Wista gg & fresnel separate or are there different versions. My Wista 45DX has a combination fresnel/screen with a cover glass (some kind of plastic/acrylic), it's a superb screen one of the best I've used on any LF camera, it's also brighter than a glass screen and fresnel combination.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Bob, is the Wista gg & fresnel separate or are there different versions. My Wista 45DX has a combination fresnel/screen with a cover glass (some kind of plastic/acrylic), it's a superb screen one of the best I've used on any LF camera, it's also brighter than a glass screen and fresnel combination.

Ian
    211221 is a 4x5 gg, plain, requires a protective glass.
    211214 is a 4x5 gg, with grid, requires a protective glass.
    211229 is a Fresnel/gg sandwich, requires protective glass.

211230 is a long focal length fresnel, requires protective glass.

211240 is a plain protective glass.
    211241 is a ruled protective glass.

Thank you Gem – I’m compiling your clear remarks into a supplementary manual for my Tachi. Plus I’m learning from all the additional comments about grinding and compatible “replacements.”

I think some of the confusion is that Sam-the-poster says “broken ground glass” in his subject line, but he describes broken cover glass in his text. Takes some reading between the grid lines.

He might be on the road to Sante Fe by now, but I remain curious if and how he got his glass back.

Hope he reports back…

Thanks for the help everyone. Jim from Midwest called me yesterday and I have a replacement on the way. Thanks Jim, again you have saved me!

I was able to work in another format while I await the glass.

BTW the brass pivot thingy popped out too on the rear standard the allows for rear swing, it's located directly cenetr on the rear standard bottom. There are no threads so I assume it must be held in place by friction and thus needs to be tapped back in place. Any ideas on how to rectify this?