Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listing of Bruce Barnbaum's photographs

Listing of Bruce Barnbaum's photographs

Does anyone know where I can see a list of all of Bruce Barnbaum's photographs?
    I have visited his website but only current photographs are listed.

I have an opportunity to purchase one of his photographs but I want to validate that it is one of his images.

Thanks

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

Re: Listing of Bruce Barnbaum's photographs

Quote Originally Posted by gary892 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can see a list of all of Bruce Barnbaum's photographs?
    I have visited his website but only current photographs are listed.

I have an opportunity to purchase one of his photographs but I want to validate that it is one of his images.

Thanks

Gary
    Your best bet would be to contact Bruce directly. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem verifying that an image for sale was by him.

Out of curiosity, which image?

There are four images that I am looking at.

Dead Oak - Lebec
    Heather Lake
    Horses Grazing Beyond Oaks
    Leidig Meadow, Late Afternoon

I can't seem to find any information on Google about any of these images.

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

Bruce is analog......

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Bruce is analog......
    He used to have a web page.

http://www.barnbaum.com/Home.html

Hey whatta you know he still does.

Start your search there and then check here:

http://www.volakisgallery.com/index....1&p=1&a=0&at=0

If anyone is interested here is the outcome of my meeting with the person selling the Bruce Barnbaum photographs.

The listing was on a popular free site.

Here are the photographs:
    Dead Oak - Lebec
    Heather Lake

I had several concerns,
    One, that the photographs may be posters or some other reproduction.
    The person may try to harm me or steal my money.
    The photographs may turn out not to be by Bruce and the signature faked.

So, I agreed to meet with the seller in a public place and I brought along a friend who would act as a body guard.

It turns out, he was an older man, younger than me, I am old, and very nice and cooperative.
    He opened the trunk to his car and there the four prints, they were in older silver painted wooden frames with non-glare glass right next to the print, No over matting!

I asked where they had been stored and he replied, his garage. In Southern California, the summers can get hot, over 100 and in a garage even hotter.

I picked one image up and I could see the print edge, so, they are not posters or any other reproduction.

I validated the signature based on an autographed copy of the manuscript for his book “Photography … An Approach to Personal Expression” that I bought in 1984.

The price was listed as $25.00. I read that as $25.00 each.
    At this point I was ready to pay the $100 and take my chances.

When I mentioned the price just to confirm, he said no, the price is $25.00 for all four prints.

Holy struck the mother lode Batman!!! I quickly handed him the money, accepted the prints in as calm a manner as I could and slowly walked off. Too bad I parked my car some distance away so he wouldn’t see what I was driving.

Ok, I brought the prints home and began to carefully remove the cardboard backing in the frame, the prints were not professionally framed.
    I carefully lifted the print and glass out of the frame at the same time and set them on a flat surface glass side up.

I gently lifted one corner of the glass to see if it was going to stick to the print and to my shock, the glass lifted off without any issues.

I repeated this process for the remaining prints and all came out perfect.

I now have four Bruce Barnbaum prints.

On further inspection, the mount board is stamped on the back with Bruce’s name, address, and phone number from a time when he lived in Los Angeles. So this information certainly helps date the images.

I know in 1984, he lived in Somis, California, so these are even before that.

My next challenge is, how do I store them?

I am considering ordering a museum case from light impressions.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

In anticipation of certain comments, no, I will not let you store them on a permanent basis.

So, that is how I spent my weekend!

Gary
    Last edited by gary892; 23-May-2010 at 21:47. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gary892 View Post
    If anyone is interested here is the outcome of my meeting with the person selling the Bruce Barnbaum photographs.

The listing was on a popular free site.

Here are the photographs:
    Dead Oak - Lebec
    Heather Lake

I had several concerns,
    One, that the photographs may be posters or some other reproduction.
    The person may try to harm me or steal my money.
    The photographs may turn out not to be by Bruce and the signature faked.

So, I agreed to meet with the seller in a public place and I brought along a friend who would act as a body guard.

It turns out, he was an older man, younger than me, I am old, and very nice and cooperative.
    He opened the trunk to his car and there the four prints, they were in older silver painted wooden frames with non-glare glass right next to the print, No over matting!

I asked where they had been stored and he replied, his garage. In Southern California, the summers can get hot, over 100 and in a garage even hotter.

I picked one image up and I could see the print edge, so, they are not posters or any other reproduction.

I validated the signature based on an autographed copy of the manuscript for his book “Photography … An Approach to Personal Expression” that I bought in 1984.

The price was listed as $25.00. I read that as $25.00 each.
    At this point I was ready to pay the $100 and take my chances.

When I mentioned the price just to confirm, he said no, the price is $25.00 for all four prints.

Holy struck the mother lode Batman!!! I quickly handed him the money, accepted the prints in as calm a manner as I could and slowly walked off. Too bad I parked my car some distance away so he wouldn’t see what I was driving.

Ok, I brought the prints home and began to carefully remove the cardboard backing in the frame, the prints were not professionally framed.
    I carefully lifted the print and glass out of the frame at the same time and set them on a flat surface glass side up.

I gently lifted one corner of the glass to see if it was going to stick to the print and to my shock, the glass lifted off without any issues.

I repeated this process for the remaining prints and all came out perfect.

I now have four Bruce Barnbaum prints.

On further inspection, the mount board is stamped on the back with Bruce’s name, address, and phone number from a time when he lived in Los Angeles. So this information certainly helps date the images.

I know in 1984, he lived in Somis, California, so these are even before that.

My next challenge is, how do I store them?

I am considering ordering a museum case from light impressions.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

In anticipation of certain comments, no, I will not let you store them on a permanent basis.

So, that is how I spent my weekend!

Gary
    You may wish to contact Bruce and see if you can establish some type of provenance for your prints. That may help you establish a market value for your prints in case you wish to sell them in the future. FWIW, at least here in the metro Atlanta area his prints haven't sold very well through the local gallery that handles his work (they may even have stopped selling his prints). Please don't construe that as a negative statement about his work, I own one of his prints too but I think it speaks to the interests of the clientele of this gallery which trends to more interested in eclectic or non-traditional contemporary work.

Never the less enjoy your prints and great find.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    He used to have a web page.

http://www.barnbaum.com/Home.html

Hey whatta you know he still does.

Start your search there and then check here:

http://www.volakisgallery.com/index....1&p=1&a=0&at=0
    I know, but he doesn't have a Flickr attitude about letting people see all his work at the push of a button, I don't think having all his work categorized on the web serves his purposes. He's a print maker...Evan Clarke

Congratulations on taking advantage of the old fool.

Weren't those reported stolen last year?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)