Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolving back on the Toyo 45II worth extra weight?

Revolving back on the Toyo 45II worth extra weight?

I was wondering if the revolving back on the 45II is worth it or should I just g et a 45AX. I can get a 45II at Robert white's for about the same $$ as a AX here at Badger etc. RW doesn't list as AX on his web site. The 45II adds about .4lbs , so unless it's really a lot better I think I'd stick with the AX. Thanks.

Ed,

I don't have the 45, but do have the VX125 which has the Toyo rotating back. It is wonderful. It rotates even with one hand when the release button is pushed. Sure you can do just fine without it, but I find mine very pleasant to deal with and I NEVER have to worry about dropping that ground glass when changing rotation which I think sells me on the feature right there...

Scott

Beverly Hills, California

Ed, I have the 45AII with revolving back. It's very useful during composition phase,especially architecture, city scapes.

However, my recommendation is to call Robert White on Monday and get the Toyo AX at substantial savings from him, put the money you save toward a lens you really like. Best of Luck.

I would get a revolving back on any camera it's offered as an option. I've used Toyo G 4x5 for years, and I love the revolving back. Removing a back and rotating it manually is such a hassle compared to pushing a button and turning. Moveover, the Toyo G model allows you to lock the back in any position, not just turn it 90 degrees, which can be very useful. I think the AX also permits this. Lastly, revolving the back eliminates the chance of dropping it.

It's surprising to me that a revolving back would add that much weight - 4 lbs seems like a lot to be attributable to just that feature but I've never owned or used either of the Toyos so I assume you're right. I have one camera that has a revolving back and two that don't. I find virtually no difference in convenience between the two types. I don't know about the Toyo, I've never used it, but on my two cameras that don't have revolving back changing from horizontal to vertical takes about 5 seconds and is very easy to do. If it were me, there's no way I'd add 4 lbs to the weight of a camera I planned to take in the field just to get a revolving back but that's just my view, obviously others differ.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Beverly Hills, California

+ 0.4 lbs

I agree with Brian Ellis. I have had cameras with and without the revolving back, and while obviously it's less effort just to turn a back than to take it off and turn it, (a) it's not something you are doing constantly and (b) what's the hurry? Most LF photographers are not in a rush. Certainly the marginal convenience is worth neither any increase in weight (a pound or two as I recall, not 4 pounds) nor any increase in cost. Not, at least, to me.

I have owned both. I currently use the AX with the non-revolving back. It is simpler, saves weight, and locates the film 4mm closer to the body which helps with wide angle lenses. On the other hand, the revolving back has a release bail which is nice.

For weight clarifucation: Toyo lists AII @ 6.2 lbs. and AX @ 5.8 lbs. for a difference of .4 lbs. as noted by Andre.

Clarification: +0.4 lbs.