Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide angle helicoid

Wide angle helicoid

Has anyone made a camera with one of these?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WIDE-ANGLE-DEVIC...item51854f7034

If so, I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of it.

Re: Wide angle helicoid

Rodenstock makes helical focusing mounts for most of their lenses in 0 shutter. Schneider does also. So these things are really quite common if you order one from your camera store. However, they are not universal. Each helical is made for a specific lens and is calibrated with distance scales to infinity as well as depth of field scales for that lens

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    Has anyone made a camera with one of these?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WIDE-ANGLE-DEVIC...item51854f7034

If so, I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of it.
    I know a guy who visits the Kiev Report forum who made a 4x5 camera with a 47/5.6 Super Angulon XL using one of these mounts.

The camera was essentially a solid box with an International back scavenged off a view camera screwed to the back, and a Technica mount on the front, using clips from Bender.

Here is a link to a post in that forum with pictures, but you will have to join Delphi Forums to follow it. The post is mine (because I have picture posting privileges there), but the camera's creator has described it in that thread. The thread was about my return to large format, from a little over a year ago.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/kievr...es?msg=8509.15

Rick "who has almost bought one of these mounts on several occasions" Denney

Nicolas Belokurov

Well, it's a very good looking mount. I've been thinking about building a PS shifteable camera with helicoid focusing. I think I'll give it a try.

MF/LF Newbie

Here's my 4x5 P+S using this paarticular mount. Awful picture I know, if you need pictures from a different angle, larger et at, let me know.

The Helicoid itself is nothing special. But its solid and it works. The grease they've used is a bit on the sticky side, and it needs a bit of use to free up properly.

Nicolas Belokurov

Wow, a really great camera Ezzie! I was thinking about something like this with my 90mm lens. Is it possible to adapt this mount to any shutter? I have my lens on a compur shutter, think it'll work?

MF/LF Newbie

Thank you.

I'm new to this, so I really wouldn't know. However, The lens mount is slightly oversize for my Copal #0 mounted Fujinon 90. The seller responded to mails, and was very helpful. Why not drop him a line?

These helicoids seem to be focal length specific by the way. I specified the length when ordering. In my case the seller didn't have ready drilled out lens boards available (Linhof type), and I had to do it myself. Not much of an issue, I really wanted a Helicoid, rather than having to rely on hyperfocal focusing only. (coming from SLRs and Rangefinders does that)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
    Here's my 4x5 P+S using this paarticular mount. Awful picture I know, if you need pictures from a different angle, larger et at, let me know.

The Helicoid itself is nothing special. But its solid and it works. The grease they've used is a bit on the sticky side, and it needs a bit of use to free up properly.

Very nice, can you show a picture of the back?

M. Jean Goupy in France has made a 6x9 camera with Mamiya Press rollfilm back and a Schneider lens-on-helicod
    http://picasaweb.google.fr/goupy.jean/W6x9V2#

MF/LF Newbie

I think I've posted these before somewhere, but can't quite remember where. OK, here goes

The main parts (the lens box and rear frame are detachable):

Assembled with GG (Graflok back)

With DAYI back attached

More info on the build here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezzie0304/4589911670/