Thread: Ries tripod head questions

Ries tripod head questions

OK,let's not mince words here. There is a nice deal on a Ries tripod with the J250 head over in the for sale section. I've been thinking about going for it, but there are two things I need to know:

1. I gather from a tiny bit of research that I can trade out the 3/8" head mounting screw for a 1/4" screw. Is that difficult and/or expensive?

2. I have a ball head right now, but want to go to more of a pan/tilt head. I'm gathering that head tilts fore and aft, and left to right. The Ries site says you can pan by loosening and retightening the head. Am I understanding that right, and is it easy to do?

Thanks for any help. I was planning on calling Ries tomorrow, but am also feeling a bit impatient!

Re: Ries tripod head questions

1. I just came across a receipt for one I bought from Badger Graphics a few years ago - it was about $30 for the new screw and shipping. Simply unscrew the 3/8" and screw in the 1/4". The still have them listed. (Note that there are two screws - one to mount the head to the tripod and one to mount the camera to the head - both are either thread.)

2. Simple as it sounds, and it works fine.

#2 -- yes, easy to do. I did have to send back my screw thingy that tightens the head onto the pod (A series) -- for some reason, the screw only held onto the head with a single turn . That made panning risky as one could pan the head right off the pod.

Ries sent me a new screw thingy before receiving the original. Great service! And the new screw thingy solved the problem.

One odd thing about the head design, though. The head tilts forward (points down) 90 degrees, but tilts back (pointing upwards) only a few degrees. If you need to tilt the camera up, one has to turn the camera 180 degrees on the head, but then the head controls are reversed. One gets use to it and one sets up the camera depending on what one needs to do.

Vaughn

When I bought my Ries, it came with a 1/4". Later I discovered I also needed a 3/8". I called Ries, they said no problem, and they shipped me a 3/8". Didn't cost much.

You understand how the head works by your description.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I have usually used a big Foba or Berlebach 3 way head, but last weekend I got the chance to use the Ries J series 2-way pan/tilt head, and it was a pleaaure to use, very intuitive, confidence inspiring simple to use controls, and, as mentioned above, very easy to slacken the central bolt under the head to pan.

I use the J250's 1/4” screw for my Tachi 4x5 (4 lbs), and the thicker 3/8” screw for my Toyo 45c studio camera (14 lbs).

No matter the position, each camera feels like it’s bolted to a large concrete slab.

Remember, you can also use the J250 as a car or truck jack.

When it comes to camera tripods, Ries rocks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Agreed. The head takes some getting used to (mounting, unmounting the camera), but is a solid performer.