Thread: Quick Synchro Compur question

Nicolas Belokurov

Quick Synchro Compur question

I've just received my first WA lens. Directly from KEH, a mint looking Super Angulon 90mm mounted in a syncro compur shutter. Everything looks just wonderful and almost new but I don't understand how it's supposed to stay opened for composing and focusing. There is a small lever on the shutter's side, but there is no way to leave it opened. Is something missing? Do I need some additional accessory or it's supposed to be like that?
    Thanks!

Re: Quick Synchro Compur question

Is the lens in a Compur 0 or Compur 00. The Synchro Compur 00 requires a mounting hole approximately 1" while the normal 0 is very nearly the same size as a Copal 0 at roughly 1 3/8" if I remember correctly.

If it is the Synchro Compur 00, you set the shutter on B to focus. If it is a synchro Compur 0 MXV, there should be a small metal switch on the lower right when looking at the front of the lens so that the shutter release is on the left. Flipping this metal switch back and forth should open and close the shutter for focus without requiring you hold the shutter open.

Nicolas Belokurov

Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    Is the lens in a Compur 0 or Compur 00. The Synchro Compur 00 requires a mounting hole approximately 1" while the normal 0 is very nearly the same size as a Copal 0 at roughly 1 3/8" if I remember correctly.

If it is the Synchro Compur 00, you set the shutter on B to focus. If it is a synchro Compur 0 MXV, there should be a small metal switch on the lower right when looking at the front of the lens so that the shutter release is on the left. Flipping this metal switch back and forth should open and close the shutter for focus without requiring you hold the shutter open.
    Thanks, it says Synchro Compur and I can see the MXV letters near the cocking lever. The metal switch is right besides the MXV letters and it does open the shutter manually but I have to press it with my finger in order to keep it opened. I mean that it doesn't remain opened or closed. Is it normal?

Nicolas, with a Compur size #00 - shutter diameter ca. 46mm, mounting hole in the lens-board 26.3mm - you will need a cable-release with locking-screw to keep the shutter open at "B".

With a Compur size #0 - shutter diameter ca. 52mm, mounting hole in the lens-board 34.6mm - as mentioned before set the shutter on "B" and cock it. Push and hold the little metal knob backward and than trip the shutter. To close the shutter push the little metal knob forward.

If it is a 90mm f/8 Super Angulon, it might be mounted in a Compur 00. The shutter is very tiny, and in some cases the weight of the lens caused it to distort under shock and Schneider changed to a larger shutter. Most 90/8 SA's were therefore mounted in a Compur #0, and all 90/5.6 SA's were mounted in either a Compur or a Copal #0.

If it has a T shutter speed, it's a #0.

Rick "who carries a magnifying glass for adjusting settings on #00 shutters" Denney

Nicolas Belokurov

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    Nicolas, with a Compur size #00 - shutter diameter ca. 46mm, mounting hole in the lens-board 26.3mm - you will need a cable-release with locking-screw to keep the shutter open at "B".

With a Compur size #0 - shutter diameter ca. 52mm, mounting hole in the lens-board 34.6mm - as mentioned before set the shutter on "B" and cock it. Push and hold the little metal knob backward and than trip the shutter. To close the shutter push the little metal knob forward.
    I'll measure the diameter at home, but I think its a Compur 00. I'll try it today and will update.
    Thanks a lot!

The Compur 00 shutter is kind of a pain to deal with but it makes the lens very lightweight. It still isn't as lightweight as a regular Angulon but I think the extra coverage of the SA makes up for the small weight difference.

Cable releases with devices to hold them extended exist because of shutters with no "T" setting or opening lever.

Nicolas Belokurov

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    The Compur 00 shutter is kind of a pain to deal with but it makes the lens very lightweight. It still isn't as lightweight as a regular Angulon but I think the extra coverage of the SA makes up for the small weight difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Purdum View Post
    Cable releases with devices to hold them extended exist because of shutters with no "T" setting or opening lever.
    That's right, I'm really excited about this lens. I have a schneider 210 on a copal 1 and it's HUGE. The SA is really really small and lightweight. My cable release can be locked in opened position.
    Thank you, I thought my shutter was lacking a part.

Nicolas Belokurov

Thank you all, I've measured it at home and its a Synchro Compur 00. It has to be set on B and tripped with the cable in order to compose and focus. Not a big deal anyway, considering the size of the shutter.