Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Key components for "value" computer?

Re: Key components for "value" computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Vertex Ninja View Post
    If you're building a value system, I'd look at AMD; Phenom x6 or maybe x4($150-220). The processors are cheaper than Intel and so are the motherboards(~$80-90). I'm a huge Seasonic fan, but Antec makes a good PS too. Look at the Antec sonata II case. It includes a 500w green power supply(very efficient) and is a very nice case; runs about $100.00. I'd also second the Western digital green drives. The 1TB version is cheap, fast, quiet, and cool. 4-8gb of ram should run $100-200(2-4 sticks). CS4 can use the graphics card, but it won't make or break the experience IMO. I'd try the on-board video first and buy a PCI x16 card only if it leaves you wanting. My $.02
    Actually that case uses an Antec Smart Power PSU. Not one of their good ones, many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    Actually that case uses an Antec Smart Power PSU. Not one of their good ones, many problems.
    I think I wrote the wrong number. I believe it's the sonata III. Thanks for catching that!

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    For sure you can build a cheap machine. The OP wanted to spend a grand ... you can do considerably better than a bone stock AMD for that.
    A Phenom II x4 or x6 is a pretty monstrous machine for Photoshop, inDesign, and general computing. I'm not a AMD fanboy at all, but I just built a Phenom x4 3.0ghz server and for 3d renders(very stressful) it's 3.5x as fast as my core2duo and that's while running as a LAMP, Samba, uPnP media server, and Linux software raid in the background. Benchmarks are benchmarks, but in real world use I'd personally notice more money in my pocket than completing photoshop actions/filters 1-10 secs faster. Besides, any machine will be considered slow in the blink of an eye.

I think I wrote the wrong number. I believe it's the sonata III. Thanks for catching that!
    Yeah the EarthWorks are good in that one.

All of this advice looks good for building a machine on my own or through a third party. Any suggestions as to third parties to work with? What about going through the traditional manufacturers, such as HP, Gateway, etc.? Seems like there's a sales war going on these days, or is that an illusion?
    Mike

A Phenom II x4 or x6 is a pretty monstrous machine for Photoshop, inDesign, and general computing. I'm not a AMD fanboy at all, but I just built a Phenom x4 3.0ghz server and for 3d renders(very stressful) it's 3.5x as fast as my core2duo and that's while running as a LAMP, Samba, uPnP media server, and Linux software raid in the background. Benchmarks are benchmarks, but in real world use I'd personally notice more money in my pocket than completing photoshop actions/filters 1-10 secs faster. Besides, any machine will be considered slow in the blink of an eye.
    Oh for sure. The i5-750 is kind of at a sweet spot now. It's more efficient in some areas than the AMDs so it's about 15% better per clock on rendering, video conversion, zip/unzip etc. That makes it a good photoshop processor as the loads are similar. It's $200 now so a bit of a deal. As it's photoshop more cores from an i7's hyperthreading are not really useful, four is plenty.

An AMD machine can be easily as good, there's not much in it.

Until you try a little OCing. The i5-750s do 4 GHz quite easily and at that speed photoshop ... is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mdd99 View Post
    All of this advice looks good for building a machine on my own or through a third party. Any suggestions as to third parties to work with? What about going through the traditional manufacturers, such as HP, Gateway, etc.? Seems like there's a sales war going on these days, or is that an illusion?
    I like to build mine but if you are careful and have the hardware you need well understood you can make some pretty good deals.

OT ... here's a deal:

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html

But probably only till tuesday/wednesday ...

From "Beyond the Fringe" :

" Now is the end. Perish the world"