Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?

Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?

Okay, I'm in a dilemma here. I've never shot film, never developed either. (17 years old, I grew up being shot on it but that's about all) If I want to end up shooting and developing 4x5 would it make the most sense to get a medium format setup and learn with that first? I have plans to get a Mamiya 645 anyhow, so I guess I'll get the hang of chemicals and whatnot without shelling out serious cash (and space) for a large format setup.

Logical?

Btw Which Mamiya 645 is "the best?" (I've already settled on Mamiya for the 80mm f/1.9)

Brian D

Re: Should I shoot 120 and then transition to 4x5?

Whatever works for you. I started out on 2x3 sheet film and am glad I did, for me its easier to study individual negatives for learning purposes than trying to look at a roll of film.
    Now if I could only learn how to post pictures on this forum.
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Processing 120 is probably going to be cheaper. People give away those developing tanks and reels. Whereas a good system for daylight 4x5 processing can be expensive.

If you have a dark room, 4x5 in a tray is very inexpensive, but does require total darkness which could be a challenge for a beginner without a teacher/helper/friend that has done it before.

My mom's a dentist and has a darkroom of her own. I can use that.

Nicolas Belokurov

Well, I've shot 120 for a while but didn't find it to be totally worth it in terms of image quality vs. effort to take the shot and process. I'd go the 4x5 from the beginning if you have the economical means to sustain it. But then again, for me 4x5 is cheaper than any other film format if the price vs quality is considered. In Argentina, I shoot the 6x6 for about 90 cents per shot and the 4x5 for about 1.1 dollars and the 4x5 offers me a lifetime experience in every photo oportunity. The setup, the peace of mind, the total control over the image and the fact that a beat up 100 dollars Toyo blasts off a 8000 dollars MarkIII is priceless for me.
    Good luck!

I shoot a 5D II so image quality is of most concern for me. 4x5 would be used for portraiture, landscape, and architecture in no particular priority. I think I'll like it. (But there are no affordable cameras available here)

Have a look at this popular thread, called Show Off Your Camera.

I'd be surprised if afterwards, you're still uncertain.

I saved my money for two years, and got my first 4x5 camera and lens, when I was 16.

Large Format teaches us that you don't have to make a lot of photographs. It's like shooting an Elephant Gun: when you hit the target, the results are... stupendous.

Octogenarian

A Mamiya 645 is what I use for a "walking around camera".

You don't need a darkroom to develop 120 roll film.

You only need total darkness while loading the film into a daylight developing tank.

It can be done in a light tight closet or a changing tent.

Since you have never photographed with film and are unfamiliar with film development procedures, I would recommend starting with smaller formats and working your way up to larger formats.

I wish you the best.

If you know nothing about exposing and processing film than I'd start with 35mm just because it's less expensive and will teach you as much about film as 120. Then when you feel comfortable with 35mm just jump right to 4x5. I don't see much point in using 120 as a stepping stone to 4x5. 120 film and equipment is more like 35mm than it is 4x5.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
    My mom's a dentist and has a darkroom of her own. I can use that.
    What format does she process? Can't you start out on the same?