Thread: How to? Compact packing for Sinar Norma 8x10.

How to? Compact packing for Sinar Norma 8x10.

Hello,

I bought a wonderful Sinar Norma 8x10 to be more mobile than with my P2. How can I pack this equipment very compact into a bag or case:

- Sinar Norma 8x10
    - Sinar Copal shutter
    - 2x lenses in DB mount (Sinaron 240/300)
    - ~3-5 film hoders 8x10
    - exposure meter, loupe

Is there somebody who would allow a view into his/her bag or case?

Thank you,
    Johannes

Re: How to? Compact packing for Sinar Norma 8x10.

There was recently a thread on very nearly the same thing titled something along the lines of "How do you carry your monorail?" On page 2 a fellow posted a link to pictures of a box he built to carry his Norma (I believe it was a 4x5, but the idea can be worked out for the 8x10). Its one of the nicest and most functional pieces of storage equipment I've ever seen. He did a really good job on it.

Anyway, give the cameras thread a quick glance and see if you can't find the thread and post I'm talking about. I certainly know that I'm going to be building something like that for my P2 8x10 this summer, though minus the backpack straps. An 8x10 P2 in a birch plywood case demands a car, not a spinal column.
    My darkroom used to be a meat freezer.

I'm the builder of that case (although I copied my design straight from John Wimberley's camera case).

Here's the original thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...5&postcount=21

Happy to help if you have any questions.

In the pictures my case looks like a monster (because it's made from wood and aluminum), but it only weighs about 10 lbs. Just for reference, Lowepro's Photo Trekker AW II weighs 10.36 lbs. I'm not being defensive; just noting that a wooden backpack-case can be lighter than you might think, relative to a soft-side case.

--Philip.

Your homebuilt case doesn't look much different from the fiber/plywood/metal cases that Sinar sold for the Norma, albeit not many 50 year old cases are in good shape these days.

Sinar even sold saddlebags and backpack straps for it. I guess in the old days people didn't need padded harnesses.

I've never seen one of those old Sinar cases up close, so I don't know how similar mine is, but conceptually it's quite similar.

Didn't the Sinar cases hang the camera upside down from the rail?

Yes but your case and the OEM Sinar both were for 4x5. The OEM Sinar 8x10 case had the 8x10 disassembled, it was more a suitcase style. Currently Sinar sells a giant fiberglass-nylon case for the full P system, it is on casters and weighs a ton. It's what you get when you go to NY or LA rental houses to shoot 8x10s of Uma Thurman, etc.

When I had my 8x10 Norma I used a plastic milk crate in the car, later I had a Liteware padded case that was fine for air travel but not as a carry-about without using a cart. In the field I didn't go that far so I would swing the camera and tripod over my shoulder and carry the holders and junk in a daypack.

Here are some shots of the OEM Sinar case I had, the metal tabs near the carry handle are for the backpack lash straps.