Thread: Speed Graphic viewfinder question..

Speed Graphic viewfinder question..

OK, My last handheld 4x5 is a very old speed graphic with the old glass sight viewfinder (see fuzzy photo... sorry, large crop). Now, when I hold the camera about a foot from my eye, the image in the glass is in focus. If I hold the camera right up against my face, and I sight through the finder, the image is very 'out of focus'. My question is, were these finders designed to be held at a distace from the eye. or could this finder be 'corrected' for a long-gone photographer's eyesight? Against my face, the old rapid rectilinear is just what's one the ground glass, but held away, it's cropped a bit. I would love to have your opinions on this. Thank You!..Robbie

Re: Speed Graphic viewfinder question..

It looks to me that you only have part of a view finder. The Graphic viewfinders that I have are constructed with a square tapering tube that goes back to an eyepiece. It appears that someone has removed all of the viewfinder except for the objective lens.
    al

That kind of viewfinder is designed to be held at a distance (like "chimping" in the 1920s). It was used on many cameras, including the "O" Leica, and several Zeiss Ikon cameras, but I've never seen it on a Speed Graphic. Could be original equipment, or someone added it to suit their needs.
    Anyhow, you're right about the way it works.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Bill, Thank you. By the way this finder folds down out of the way when not in use. I played with a very old Leica once and remember holding it away from my face, and I thought that this was the same, but I wasn't sure. My Graphic is from 1910 and has seen lots of add-ons, but I think this finder is to date. But holding it out it makes it difficult to hold the camera steady at anything slower than 100th of a second, and even that's a challenge! I don't know how the old news guys did it. There was never any kind of flash on this one, especially in 1910.

My oldest SG has the same sort of finder, so I'd say that is definitely OE. As for how they were designed to be used, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Bedell View Post
    But holding it out it makes it difficult to hold the camera steady at anything slower than 100th of a second, and even that's a challenge! I don't know how the old news guys did it.
    I don't know how the digital P&S people do it....its like an epidemic

I have this same finder on my SG, which also came with a larger wire framing finder. I've seen both on older models, pre-anniversary I believe.

Eli