Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For whatever its worth...

For whatever its worth...

Well, sounds like a fun thing to do! count me in, but I am in Mexico. Central part, if you know San Miguel Allende then you know where abouts I am. The one advantage I can offer is a full fledged Darkroom and knowledge of the area and surrounding states.

There already is group of people who do this...they are called the Western Gatherers. They usually meet in CA. Kerry Thalman, a major contributor on this list is a member of the group. they correspond through an email list, set up trips, share information, etc. I used to be a memeber, but time constrainst made me drop out. I think they communicate on a Yahoo groups list? Hopefuly Kerry or Harold Slavitt will contribute the address, no sense re inventing the wheel...

Actually it's the Western Gathering, a group of group of West Coast photographers. Their home page is http://home.jps.net/~gadams/wg/

If you check the History page you'll get an idea of what it's about. Per nailed it in one respect -- the concept of a workshop without a leader or fees (other than your own food and accommodations). However, to me, Per sounded like he was aiming to form a group of LF B&W photographers since "prints, photography, printing, processing, wine and good food" were mentioned. Even though some of our members use LF we are multi-format group who mostly use color positive film. Also we do reach beyond California although 11 of our 17 gatherings have been in California.

Please count me in too. I lice in So. California.

Garrett is being far too modest. He is the one who pioneered the Western Gather ing concept back in 1994. The concept is identical to what Per has proposed - a group of photographers get together in a scenic location for some photography d uring the daylight hours and enjoy each other's company in the evening. In gene ral, the Western Gatherings (WGs) run Thursday evening through Sunday late morni ng. We generally try to have a meal in a decent restaurant at least once (usual ly Saturday evening) and a group "show-n-tell" where we share out work (either p rints or transparencies on a light box).

As Garrett mentioned, over half of the 17 WGs to date have been in California, b ut there have also been a handful in Oregon, one in Washington, one in Utah and even one in Canada. A lot of the regular attendees are from California, but Ore gon is also well represented and we have regular attendees from Washington and B ritish Columbia as well.

I personally have attended 11 of the 17 WGs so far, and can state unequivocally that it's a great idea and a whole lot of fun. I've made some great friends and even gotten some pretty decent images. The social aspects of getting together with a group of like minded photographers is what makes the concept fly. It was a great idea eight years ago (thanks Garrett) and still is. As Garrett mention ed the WGs are not format specific (and all formats are well represented). And while we do occasionally spend a little time talking gear, the main emphasis is on creating images and sharing friendship and knowledge. I look forward to ever y WG and attend whenever my schedule allows.

Per, best of luck with your "Free Workshops", and hopefully sometime you can hoo k up with the WG crowd for a little shooting and conversation.

Kerry

great idea Per,

Keep me informed.

Dave Karp

Per,

Sounds great!

I would be very interested in organizing a group in the Portland/Seattle/Vancouver, BC area some time in May. If you are interested and have suggestions for a location please contact me off list.

I would also be interested in day trip get-togethers in the Seattle area.

Kevin Kolosky

Per

You and I have spoken about the Owens Valley, and I am jealous that all of these folks will be able to partake of this workshop with you and I won't because I am stuck here in Minnesota.

I just write to agree with the others that it is a fantastic idea.

Another Group F64 may come out of it. make sure you publish your year's work.

Kevin