Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    Oh, and don't forget to go to The Napoleon House for a drink and/or a bite to eat. Best bar in the world!
    It is, or at least was, a college (Tulane/Loyola) bar. Nice ambience and crowd but not the "best bar" in New Orleans which probably does have the best bars in the world. Best food too.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Last time I was in NO - about 8 years ago - we got a bunch of warnings from the hotel concierge and others about going in some of the cemeteries. At that time it apparently was common practice for thieves to hide behind the mausoleums and then rob people as they went by. I wouldn't think things have improved since Katrina but maybe Ed or someone else who lives there could update you. Personally I wouldn't take expensive camera gear into one of the major cemeteries without knowing that that problem no longer exists.
    Not my experience- I shot in the cemetaries a number of times when I lived in NO and never had any problem. Of course, you need to be careful and observant there as well as anywhere else in that city, but I never encountered anything like that. My favorite is Metairie Cemetary-lots of scenic old tombs and statuary.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Another recommendation is all of the beautiful old oak trees in City Park and Audubon Park
    Brian Vuillemenot

Last time I was there shooting you could shoot St. Louis Cathedral as long as you didn't use flash. Early in the morning there was no one there so they might let you set up a tripod and shoot if you made a "donation" and asked nicely. Didn't have my 4x5 then but would love a LF shot of their ceiling.

Allan

My churches page has some interiors of Immaculate Conception Church in NO at the bottom, with a GPS map link:

http://www.epr-art.com/galleries/b4a-la-ca-churches/

It is usually open, and they have not minded picture taking.

New Orleans, LA

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    It is, or at least was, a college (Tulane/Loyola) bar. Nice ambience and crowd but not the "best bar" in New Orleans which probably does have the best bars in the world. Best food too.
    I was exercising a bit of hyperbole simply because it is my favorite bar. I don't think of it as a college bar at all, though. New Orleans does have great bars and great food.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

No, it's not a college bar although it is frequented by a number of the faculty and students from nearby Tulane and Loyola Universities as well as the more sophisticated and refined residents of the City. I was somewhat stretching the relation there.

It a great bar with good ambiance. I've always enjoyed it.

ARS KC2UU

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread when it first posted. I travel to New Orleans frequently on business. I like to take the ferry across the river in the evening and shoot the city skyline at sunset. Ferry is free for walk-ons and $1 for cars. The paved pathway along the levee goes for several miles with good photo opportunities at many points along the way. This one caught with Provia and my Fuji 617. My next trip I plan to do it with 4x5 and a variety of lenses. Whatever I can carry on the flight. Cheers. BG
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

New Orleans, LA

Excellent recommendation! I live across the river and take the ferry to work. It is the best view of the city.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    Excellent recommendation! I live across the river and take the ferry to work. It is the best view of the city.
    Thom: Yes it's a very nice ride. This one grabs your ferryboat in motion.

I've also done a number of shots up-river looking back at the city from under the bridge.

Are there any other locations in Old Algiers you would recommend I try? I'm starting to know my way around there pretty well. Cheers. BG
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.