Thread: Lab for 4x5 in India

Lab for 4x5 in India

Hello,

I'm considering living in India for a year and would like to take my large format with me. Does anyone know of a quality lab in India that could process and scan my film?

Thank you so much!

Chloe

Re: Lab for 4x5 in India

I had similar queries before heading to Nepal last year with a medium format kit. I ended up finding a place that deals exclusively in B&W processing through the Lonely Planet book, and was very impressed with their service, and over the moon with their prices. It had been opened by the current owners grandfather, and they did everything up to 4x5.

I just had a quick look through the India LP guide (I'm planning a trip there asap too) and there's a few mentions in the Delhi section (didn't go anywhere past that). Not many labs seem to have websites, so you could play some phone tag.

I did find out through an old photo.net thread about Mahatta Photography (http://mahattaimaging.com/) who mention they deal with medium format, and they also have a photo school which mentions large format too, so they must be able to process it somewhere. They could be worth sending an email to.

The Delhi Photo Co is listed in the LP guide, and from what I've found out online seems to be a little more traditional and has a darkroom too. There's a fairly good read here (http://thedelhiwalla.blogspot.com/20...o-company.html) and their details are:
    Delhi Photo Co.
    78, Janpath, New Delhi -110 001
    Ph: 3320557 (+91 11 3320667)
    Email: dpco@bol.net.in

I'm not sure if both places do develop 4x5, but an email should find out for you. If they don't, it seems they'll be able to get the chemicals for you to possibly do your own with a daylight tank where ever you're living, or even borrowing their darkroom if they'll allow it for a fee.

Scanning on the other hand could be a little trickier.

Where abouts are you considering living?

Be sure to keep us in the loop about what you find out too. I hadn't considered taking my 4x5 but if there was a good lab somewhere where I could process film, I'd be mighty tempted.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for this. I really appreciate the help. I'm thinking about living in Delhi for at least a year.

I will definitely keep you in the loop once I find the right lab. Good luck with your own travels.

All the best and thanks again,

Chloe

Maybe it's late but SV Photographic [tel - 4160 3702] in CR Park area is one of the most professionally run establishments in Delhi. Am an happy customer of them for more than a year now..