Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans

New Orleans

Will travel to New Orleans in the next few days and taking my 4x5 along. Any recommendations come to mind for cityscapes? Many thanks.

Re: New Orleans

Start in the French Quarter at dawn and you can shot before things get moving. The Explore the Garden District by driving down St Charles to where it dead ends. Drive back on Magazine street to the far side of the Quarter and take Esplanade to the art museum.

Me too. If you spot a guy with a Speed Graphic and a Darlot--that would be me.

There are so many great scenes to photograph in New Orleans - one of my favorite cities and it is very photogenic wherever you are in the French Quarter and along the river. Make sure to visit the grave yards but take care. Enjoy the baked oysters too!

Last time I was in NO - about 8 years ago - we got a bunch of warnings from the hotel concierge and others about going in some of the cemeteries. At that time it apparently was common practice for thieves to hide behind the mausoleums and then rob people as they went by. I wouldn't think things have improved since Katrina but maybe Ed or someone else who lives there could update you. Personally I wouldn't take expensive camera gear into one of the major cemeteries without knowing that that problem no longer exists.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks everybody -- will try Fr quarter, seems like that will keep me busy.

If you head north west out of the french quarter there is a decent cemetery. I felt ok going in as there was a policeman stationed outside the only gate open. It made for a safer experience as it is in a slightly dodgey spot.

New Orleans, LA

The French Quarter can keep you busy with Architectural subjects all day long as well as interesting people. Be prepared to tip any street performers you photograph. The cemeteries are very interesting and the one just north of the Quarter has Marie Laveau's grave. Go into the cemeteries with at least one other person to watch your back and your stuff. If you have time and are in the Garden District come by the New Orleans Photo Alliance Gallery, 1111 St. Mary St. (just off the 1900 block of Magazine St.) We have a show up entitled Four by Five which was juried by Steve Simmons of View Camera Magazine. Right around the corner is The Darkroom and he has some large format film if you need it. Go to Frenchman St. at night for great local entertainment. Have fun!

New Orleans, LA

Oh, and don't forget to go to The Napoleon House for a drink and/or a bite to eat. Best bar in the world!

St Louis Cemetery #3, on 3421 Esplanade Avenue, is in midtown and is safe. One of the most impressive is Metairie Cemetery, which is also safe:

http://www.nolacemeteries.com/metairie.html