Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Domenico Foschi

Re: Domenico Foschi

I will miss you Domenico. Sitting on the outdoor "veranda" and sipping a wine with Domenico was like a little heaven to me. Splendid fellow. But, hey, I'm italian too. Maybe I'll see him some day in Italy. Better wine there.

I like his photography, too

..but this is a bit much, ain't it?

I'm scouring the threads looking for the next two

multiplex

sorry to see you leave domenico,
    i know you will find fields of splendor at home.

best of luck, and i look forward to your future work !

john

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I wish him luck.

My opinion is that you have to realize that soliciting galleries and shows is next to worthless -- it is a far better return on investment (of time, money, energy) to produce more and more great work until it is impossible to be ignored. And then the audience will come to you. Most people start submitting to galleries or try to sell higher-end prints too early in their careers and wind up getting discouraged.

You have to figure out how to be a productive artist/photographer for years and years without a return. If that means being a plumber or shooting ordinary things to pay the bills then so be it.
    Frank I couldn't have said it better than that. It's the truth in most art for most artists. I won't list the artists who died poor or the ones who just faded away in obscurity. Instead I look at the work they did and give thanks for the gift they left.

Just like a writer writes always a photographer photographs always. The Internet is world wide and where ever Domenico goes the net will be there. It has to be looked at as a rebirth, a new chapter in his life, one that will only widen his world and no matter what he does he will always have that inner light to pursue the art of photography.

I once had an experience like this, I went to the best schools and ended up trying to work in photography just when the Hunt brothers cornered the silver market and the economy was so bad no one wanted to buy a print. What did I do? I went back to school and became a Radiation Therapist. I worked for twenty years in the medical field, always thinking about the day I would be free of the clock and able to do my photography. I chose to work a career rather than work in photo lab booth in a grocery parking lot. It was a shock and disappointment but I evolved. That's the best thing about being human, we change and grow.

The best of luck Domenico, keep us in your world while you evolve to a higher level.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    ..but this is a bit much, ain't it?
    I can't speak for others, but I would say not at all. Although I've never met him, Domenico is more than just another photographer whose work I like. He was an active, valued member of this oddball community, but more than that he was an inspiration when I was looking for the nerve to follow my own visual ideas. As a photographer, and I suspect as a personality, we are very different, but I admire him, his work and his attitude. For all the talk of vision in forums like this it is rare to come across someone who has something personal to add to the flood of modern imagery, and who expresses himself so clearly, consistently and well.

I wish him luck and success.

Its a sad commentary on the art world wherein marketing, with rare exceptions, trumps vision, skill & creativity all of which Domenico has shown that he possesses.
    Good luck & keep the faith in yourself.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I wish him luck.

My opinion is that you have to realize that soliciting galleries and shows is next to worthless -- it is a far better return on investment (of time, money, energy) to produce more and more great work until it is impossible to be ignored. And then the audience will come to you. Most people start submitting to galleries or try to sell higher-end prints too early in their careers and wind up getting discouraged.

You have to figure out how to be a productive artist/photographer for years and years without a return. If that means being a plumber or shooting ordinary things to pay the bills then so be it.
    Frank, I'm going to print this out and tack it up in my office.

A while back there was a thread on who we thought were the most influential photographers of our times, and I listed Domenico as one for myself. He sent me a pm very humbled by this and quite surprised. I still would list him, his vision resonates with me and that's what counts in my book. Peace Domenico.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Quote Originally Posted by bsimison View Post
    Frank, I'm going to print this out and tack it up in my office.
    Isn't it the truth? Anyone who has read the daybooks of Edward Weston knows that he anguished over having to do the sittings in order to do live another day so he could do his personal work. It's an artists life for the vast majority.

Dave Karp

Domenico is a great guy. I hope that he finds a happy an fulfilling life wherever he goes.

Plus, his work is outstanding.