Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SO Utah

SO Utah

headed to southern utah for 8 days looking for some spots less frequented. I have some wall writings to visit some thing close to st george . appreciate all input

Glenn Mellen

Re: SO Utah

Near St. George and spots less frequented:

Kolob Canyon area of Zion NP. Most tourists stay in the main part of Zion... very few visit this northern area which is not part of the "standard" tour.

Snow Canyon (as I recall a state park).

Many places to be found by staying out of National Parks and driving side and rural roads.

A word of warning about the small towns in that area, they are mostly poligamist communities, and outsiders are not welcome. Stay to the larger towns on main roads.
    Of course, this was personal experience from 20 years ago when I lived in northern Utah, but I dont think it has changed much, if at all. A trip to the North Rim of GC is spectacular and less frequented than South Rim(main park). A side trip to Jerome Az. used to be great for photo ops, the view from there is awesome.

Bryce is not less traveled but MUST be seen if you haven't. Escalante national staircase is amazing if you want to see some truly remote wilds, have an off-road vehicle, and AREN'T alone. Otherwise, Kodachrome Basin park is a nice, failry scenic hideaway, Calf Creek falls is nice if you're willing to do the hike (No good for a monorail camera, not bad for a field camera) and the stretch of route 12 in between the two is maybe the best drive I've ever done.

Drew Wiley

I really like the circuit from Bryce on Hwy 12 down to Escalante, then over Torrey Pass
    to Capitol Reef (if the pass is open). An incredible range of scenery, plus wonderful
    side options in Calf Creek and the Grand Staircase. But if you come back on the main
    hwy avoid Panguitch like the plague. You'll be guaranteed a ticket, and Sheriff Zohad
    and Deputy Zebud might be around the corner to hassle you too. They don't like
    photographers (they think we're all potentially undercover FBI agents). On the other hand, Cedar City tends to be a lot friendlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I really like the circuit from Bryce on Hwy 12 down to Escalante, then over Torrey Pass
    to Capitol Reef (if the pass is open). An incredible range of scenery, plus wonderful
    side options in Calf Creek and the Grand Staircase. But if you come back on the main
    hwy avoid Panguitch like the plague. You'll be guaranteed a ticket, and Sheriff Zohad
    and Deputy Zebud might be around the corner to hassle you too. They don't like
    photographers (they think we're all potentially undercover FBI agents). On the other hand, Cedar City tends to be a lot friendlier.
    Drew,

I believe it's called Boulder Mountain Pass on Highway 12 and it is open year round save a few temporary closures when it snows alot. I agree it is one of the great drives in southern Utah. One can spend a lifetime just on this road and the areas off of it. I was driving through there this winter on my way back to WI and the Escalante was covered by a foot of snow. Unfortunately, Calf Creek was closed up, but still ended up spending a few days shooting in the area. Jim

Most small communites in southern Utah are NOT polygamist communities. That poster is completely misinformed. Colorado City/Hilldale was and for the most part still is, but thats about it. Most small communties here are full of really nice people.

No reason to avoid going through Panguitch. I drive through there probably 30+ times a year and have never been stopped. I live in Cedar City and you are much more likely to get a ticket here.

No need to avoid the Grand Staircase if you are alone. The main road (hole-in-the-rock) is usually in fine condition except for a little sand in places, and most of the side roads can be drive with 2WD high clearance. Of course 4WD is better if you have it, but there is a lot you can do without it.

Its amazing to read some of the advice one gets here......

Drew Wiley

Adam - I've been stopped four times on one trip and hassled. Do you have out of state
    plates???? I know other photographers who have been hassled. Some of these little towns have a lot to be paranoid about. Central Utah is the fraud capital of America - not Miami. And it ain't just Colorado City. Don't tell me I haven't seen with my own eyes what I have indeed seen. Just try driving with a nonwhite companion. Some of
    these places are VERY unfriendly, and I would put "Pain"guitch on that list. Maybe they
    welcome drunk deer hunters, but every single time I've passed through there minding
    my own business I've been stopped. The last time I had all my gear rifled through and
    was told outright that Californians are unwelcome, and that was one very spooky lawman. And yes, I know of places in Calif and Nevada that have some shady law
    enforcement people too, where you better be damn polite, and where folks have been
    thrown into jail and refused even a phone call, or might outright disappear if they
    stumbled in the sherriff's pot operation or something. Certainly the exception rather than the rule, but no sense being naive about it. It's just part of travel, just like you
    don't want to stumble into a meth lab or rattlesnake nest or flashflood. Either you
    believe me or call me an outright liar - your choice.

Man, you guys must have a radical look about you.

I've driven in Panguitch a zillion times, with Texas plates, and several times with Virginia plates, and never been hassled. The only time I ever got stopped in Utah was for speeding north of Moab, and he wrote me up for exactly the speed I was going. I forgot about it and was late paying, and I called the Grand County court to apologize, and they were friendly and forgiving.

And I've stopped in lots of little towns in Utah and found everyone I've met to be friendly. Of course, like in all rural areas, I mind my own business. I do that in Virginia, too.

But I am a sort-of clean-cut engineer type, heh.

Rick "who does NOT have a 'Hayduke Lives!' bumper sticker" Denney

First of all Drew, I never called you a liar. All I said is there is no reason to avoid Panguitch. I think most people would agree that your story is an exception to the rule. Granted, I'm sure it wasn't pleasant, but to tell someone to avoid it like the plague, I think that was too far. Agree to disagree I guess.....and yes, for the first 4 years I lived here, I had Michigan plates and was never stopped once, and I've visited many many small towns across southern Utah.

And yes, there are polygamist folks all over Utah. That doesn't make a city a polygmaist comminty. There are many that live here in Cedar, I don't think anyone considers Cedar City a polygamist community......