View Poll Results: Would you be interested in wooden lens caps?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would get several if they were available in the sizes I need.

29 30.53%
  • Maybe

40 42.11%
  • No, I don't like the way they look.

26 27.37%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exotic wood lens cap prototypes - please respond to the poll

Re: Exotic wood lens cap prototypes - please respond to the poll

OK then, I will work on the design, test a few woods and get back to you all with more pictures. I'll make some samples from small sizes to larger ones. I also have to come up with some pricing. Thank you for the feedback.
    Sorin

Please make sure that whatever you use to finish the wood (and the woods you choose, or the glue you use to attach the textile to the inside) do not gas off in ways that will damage the glass or coat it with fuzz. And if you use a textile to line the cap, using something that doesn't provide a home for fungus would be nice, too.

I once made a deer-skin arm rest for a raw brass tuba. It looks so good that I've had MANY requests from people to reproduce it. But eventually I had to remove it, because the chemicals that had been used to tan the hide attacked the brass, causing what was becoming a serious corrosion problem. Hence, my warning--damaging chemicals lurk in unexpected places and brass-barrel lenses in particular are chemically fragile.

Rick "who might be interested depending on price and confidence concerning the above issues" Denney

Rick, good info thank you. The prototype caps are not finished with anything, they are just polished wood and I was planning on only using woods that polish well without chemicals. These prototypes are not lined, I will be looking into various options for a liner. I will look into anti-fungal treatments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Please make sure that whatever you use to finish the wood (and the woods you choose, or the glue you use to attach the textile to the inside) do not gas off in ways that will damage the glass or coat it with fuzz. And if you use a textile to line the cap, using something that doesn't provide a home for fungus would be nice, too.
    Sorin

I would also be interested if the price was right, and the fit is right of course! I would buy several if they could compete with my source who makes them for $40. I'm not worried about outgassing, but would worry about dropping one and cracking it. Perhaps you could make a brass knob on the front like some of the old ones had. And you could drill an eyelet in the knob to thread a lanyard. And you could.....oh, sorry.

Interesting idea, and as long as it matched the lens board I might be willing to give them a shot.

Allan

They are beautiful. Hopefully they are not being made from the last remaining tropical forests . Instead of exotic, I would prefer "sustainable".
    Sergio

My website

History tells me that my lenscaps are consumables, like cable releases; as pretty as your prototypes are, I wouldn't buy any, only because they would be left lying on the ground somewhere before long. Good idea though!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

These are very nice. As a woodworker and camera builder I make my own. Made one recently for the Walnut barreled 14" Commercial Ektar. I thought it appropriate.

Jim

Drew Wiley

Handsome, but from a practical standpoint I too would be cautious about what kind
    of finish is involved due to the potential of outgassing, and even of the risk of
    certain natural resins outgassing in the heat if the caps are not finished with anything. Not a hypothetical problem at all, but an inherent characteristic of many tropical (and other) woods. Merely polishing the wood does not mitigate this.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by svarzaru View Post
    I'm looking to see what would be the interest level in exotic wood (replacement) lens caps. These are a couple of examples. The caps on the stereo camera are made out of Cocobolo wood and the larger one from Padauk. Other woods would also be available.

Would have interest, keep me posted.

Jack