Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intervallo - iphone timer app for film development. Free.

Intervallo - iphone timer app for film development. Free.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    I am a developer of Intervallo timer that I created for myself as I didn`t find a good one for me in app store. Now I`d like to share it with you - itunes.apple.com/us/app/intervallo/id551457908?mt=8
    It is free for a limited time. You will be able to create advanced intervals with sound schemes you want for convenient agitation process. Using Intervallo you can divide development time into intervals with autostart and assign them individual sound schemes for agitation. It is possible to create kind of a progressive sound schemes for progressive/regressive agitation.
    Any comments, questions or reviews on appstore are welcome!

Name: ______William Booth

Re: Intervallo - iphone timer app for film development. Free.

Can the timer be run in the background with the screen off? I currently put my iphone into airplane mode, switch off wi-fi, and play an audio recording ("minute counter") in the background with the screen off. I will happily buy this app for 0.99 if you can tell me that the timer can run in the background with the screen off. Actually, I will buy it anyway and just post the results here, seeing as you signed up here only to advertise your product.

Name: ______William Booth

The app will not run in the background (with the screen off) on a non-jailbroken iPhone. That makes it pretty much useless to me as a development timer. The timer continues to run, but the audible alerts stop sounding. Also, the app is no longer free.

Thanks for working on it, anyway.
    William

Hello William,
    Will this trick work for you if you run a timer in "never sleep" mode and just place the phone face down?

I am sorry, I couldn`t find a way to edit thread topic and remove free from its name.

Intervallo - iphone timer app for film development. Free.

Quote Originally Posted by fecaleagle View Post
    The app will not run in the background (with the screen off) on a non-jailbroken iPhone. That makes it pretty much useless to me as a development timer. The timer continues to run, but the audible alerts stop sounding. Also, the app is no longer free.

Thanks for working on it, anyway.
    William
    There is no "also". It's $0.99. It's as good as free.

Bought it! Nice one

Thank you

Mityaiko, I`m sorry, after buying it I found I dislike it. It is certainly not for free, so I feel the need of writing it here, because is money wasted for a photographer.

As a timer for fun, it works. But I was looking for a real working timer for film developing. This timer only let you to set the full time, with a quite simple sound scheme... it is too much simple for most tasks.
    Let me tell you how we work:

1.We need a full time timer, we set the full developing time. Here it is ok.
    2.Itīd be nice to set the initial agitation time, it use to be less than one minute, it works.
    3.Then, every minute (or two, or three or five), we need a reminder sound to agitate the tank. A warning sound previous to the "beep" would be great, but not necessary. Your timer can be set upto a maximum of 1 minute. It is useless for those who agitate the drum every two minutes, or three... it doesn`t obviously work with a "stand development" technique.
    4.Before the end, there should be a different warning sound, and the final beep.
    5.Etc.

We use to work with running water, (print or film washers), maybe with music. The beeps are not audible under this conditions. The timer should let the user to choose another more sharp or recognizable sound.

That huge development charts/lists are simply useless. Don`t waste memory and buttons trying to offer a list that nobody will follow (maybe a novice). There isn`t even an index to find anything...same for the other lists (cooking times).

Well, please know that there is no pun intended. Just to let you know that your product has a nice looking, it`s a good idea, but it needs to be refined and specialized. Maybe you can fix this issues.

Thank you for the comment but let me clarify some basics. If the sound scheme that consists of 3 variables (sound duration 'at start', sound duration 'before the end' and 'sound every') you can assign to an interval is too simple for your task you can split the timer into intervals or even "sub intervals" and set Start interval to "Auto". In this case each of "sub intervals" will have individual sound scheme and the group of them will form the timer. You can create individual interval and not just use sound duration at start for initial agitation. Also intervals have sharp/recogniazable sound at the end and they should help if you work in a noisy environment. Moreover, Intervallo allows to set a delay between intervals (for example you want to pour water out and wash hands and you know you need 30 seconds for this) or start next interval manually. I can help you to create a timer with intervallo if you describe your process. As to presets, they are there to let customers ideas and help to create their own timers.

I understand that Intervallo is not ideal but it definitely is not for fun and yes I am working on updates, for example upcoming version will have timer sharing option.

Thank you very much for your atention.

Yesterday I tried to add intervals, but I was only able to add just one... after that, the "add interval" box was missing... only the "save" box. Maybe I did something wrong. I tried it several times&ways, no success. I`ll try it again.

For example, I`ll develop an FP4+ film in Perceptol 1+3; it takes (depending en the max. density needed), say 14`30``. Agitation is two times each two minutes.
    1. I have to set 30`` (seconds) of initial, continuous agitation , plus
    2. Seven sets of 2`(minutes), each set will receive an agitation (five secons or two inversions).

In the step #1, having a beeping sound for the initial continuous agitation will be great, specially if we need to set e.g. a first interval of 45``(imagine a 5`45`` process, where the first 15`` are for continuous agitation). At the end of the first interval, the warning sound and final beep, like on every interval.

An audible warning beep five seconds before the end of each interval would be essential. A diferentiated beep at the end of the latest interval would be nice, too.

The interval way should work, but it`s a bit of pain for those who use very dilute developers, as the development times goes to more than twenty minutes. And it should be set for several densities and films... (I only use two films, one developer, and up to three different developing times for each film. You may expect people will want to have up to five development times for each film and developer combination (N-2, N-1, N, N+1, N+2), and several developer and film combinations).

If the timer is easy to setup, no problem. We can set the timer every time we put the film on the tank. But if the setting process is too complicated, it needs to be stored in the memory; this is my case, I`ll try to do it again.

I`m so pleased you`re here to solve this issues. Sadly, I know nothing about computers, so I (we) need to encourage you to made a perfect darkroom developing timer. Reality is that pocket devices are great for this task, I have some darkroom timers but my most used one has always been (still is!) the one I have on my Palm devices... now the iPhone is the perfect replacement. Thanks a lot, sincerely.