Thread: YAN from NE PA

Unhappy YAN from NE PA

Yet Another Newbie struggling to use his 4x5 camera (a Cambo model unknown). I've been dabbling with photography for years (and years), and recently decided my retirement gives me time to pursue it more seriously. I have a DSLR that is automated just short of cooking breakfast for me. The biggest problem (short of shooting interesting pictures) is mastering all those automatic controls. I enjoy shooting architecture and playing with hardware so I thought a view camera is for me.
    I decided that "instant" film was the way to start especially since I'm not near any processors and I'm not going to set up a wet darkroom. I had a Polaroid 545 back, but I want to be able to buy actual film so I bought two Polaroid 405 backs and some film. Much to my surprise these 405 backs almost, but don't quite fit into my camera. I know now these backs were designed for Graflok backs which my camera doesn't have. Actually I shimmed out the springs with some washers and with a tussle I can get the backs into place, but the procedure takes too long to be used very often and I'll break one of the springs eventually. What can I do?

Re: YAN from NE PA

Welcome to group therepy, Robin. I'm surprised you're having trouble inserting the 405 back in the Cambo spring back. My Cambo has a Graflok-type back and the 405 inserts under the ground glass with no problem (though I habitually remove the glass when putting it on); I would have thought that the spring back would have even more room than mine...shows what I know! I'd watch on eBay, etc., for an "international" or "universal" (often used instead of "Graflok") 4x5 back; they usually go pretty cheaply and will solve that problem easily. Of course, the other solution is to start using conventional film, even if you have to send it away for processing.

Have fun with your view camera!

Welcome, Yan. Why don't you pick up a few 4x5 sheet film holders from the auction site? I know these holders that you have save a bit of space and weight, but is it really worth the hassle?

Where in NE PA? I'm more SE PA (30 minutes or so west of Philly) but would be willing to help if you are close.