Thread: Kodak No. 1 Supermatic Shutter

Kodak No. 1 Supermatic Shutter

I have a 4x5 Speed Graphic that I use to mount barrel lenses, but I no longer have a 4x5 enlarger, so I bought a perfectly working 2x3 Speed Graphic to enlarge prints from that format. I'm confused by the shutter. It is a Kodak No. 1 Supermatic and as originally set up is triggered by a solenoid. (The lens is a Kodak Ektar 4.5 101mm). There does not appear to be a place to stick a mechanical shutter release. I've never seen a "newer" shutter that did not allow the use of a mechanical cable release. Has anyone seen this before?

Re: Kodak No. 1 Supermatic Shutter

The cable release socket is next to the shutter release lever. If you can't see it, there's probably a plug in it. The plug's head should be slotted and it should screw right out. I've removed a couple of them.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AllanWafkowski View Post
    I have a 4x5 Speed Graphic that I use to mount barrel lenses, but I no longer have a 4x5 enlarger, so I bought a perfectly working 2x3 Speed Graphic to enlarge prints from that format. I'm confused by the shutter. It is a Kodak No. 1 Supermatic and as originally set up is triggered by a solenoid. (The lens is a Kodak Ektar 4.5 101mm). There does not appear to be a place to stick a mechanical shutter release. I've never seen a "newer" shutter that did not allow the use of a mechanical cable release. Has anyone seen this before?
    I had the same experience. With mine there was a cap covering the socket that was easily unscrewed . I've only seen these on Supermatics. They are fine shutters, btw!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thank you for your replies. Yes, there is a plug in the mechanical release hole. Someone seems to have attempted to keep it plugged by adding a drop of solder or some like substance on the screw. A cable release works like a charm, now.

You guys are great.