Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Care and Feeding of an Ebony?

Care and Feeding of an Ebony?

Yes Julio, that is funny now that I reread you post....thanks for pointing that out....kind of like 'pheasant under glass'. I e-mailed Ebony about their recommendations, told them I recommeded wax and asked them how they felt about it and am awaiting a response.

I am very familiar with Mahogany since I made the coffee table that now resides in my living room out of Mahogany. I stained it with several coats of danish oil and regularly wax it with Liberon paste wax, there's no goop whatsoever.

Bottom line is the wood doesn't know if it's in a camera or desk, wood is wood, so the issue is pretty simple, do nothing, or wax it regularly, for added protection. Good point about whatever possible treatment Ebony has performed on the wood, although I read John Sextons review which say that's linseed oil, and that being true, wax isn't going to hurt.

On the Mahogany pieces I've made, Liberon and Mothers California Gold(an automotive paste wax), work like a charm. I wouldn't recommend Armor all/silicone as once you get this on something, you cannot get it off.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that Ebony use danish oil on the cameras.

Yes Julio your point is well taken, and something Matthew should take notice, don't expose this camera to downpours, get it soaked. In the woodworking subculture the majority of folks don't even try to make a piece out of Ebony, they buy a stain, another wood, and try to duplicate the 'look' of Ebony with staining.

That is how special your Ebony is, and it is why I bought a metal field camera, so I could concentrate on pictures rather than being careful so I wouldn't bang up the camera(being a woodworker myself, I would be loathe to tear up another mans handiwork).
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

One more thing Matthew, linseed oil and turpentine is Danish oil.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

To quote Kuniko Yamaguchi of Ebony: "Could we forward some information of the maintenance of your 45SU? The ebony wood is not coated with any laquer, but soaked in a special oil. Therefore, the more your camera is used, the more beautiful the camera becomes. Please spread a little amount of candle (any sorts of) on all the wooden parts and wipe it up with a dry cloth, sometimes. This treatment also makes the camera work more smoothly and comfortably (especially extention rails) and can be sort of waterproof." I hope this helps.

Matthew,

Welcome to the Ebony club with Paul as acting President. : >))

As you can now see.... everybody seems to have an opinion on an Ebony some good.. some not so good. Just do your best to take of the camera as you would any fine crafted article you own. Make sure you enjoy using it and don't worry too much as the camera is well designed and will stand up very well to frequent use. A few good tips already provided by previous posters will meet your needs.

Enjoy and good light !

I received a gracious e-mail from a representative of Ebony, they've seen the post, they asked not to be quoted directly and I'll do as they wish. Anyone feel free to e-mail Ebony to verify what they told me.

They mentioned that their wood is cured for 15-20 years which is awesome. It is quartersawn, which assures the straightest of grain, again awesome. They encourage use of the camera without worry, and recommend 'wood finishing oil'(I think they're referring to Danish Oil but I'm not 100% certain) for any scratches.

They are indeed recommending candle/beeswax, I would before purchasing anything akin to a candle check to see if it is beeswax or Parafin wax, not that it will probably make a difference.

They take the utmost care in selecting and curing their stock, taking twenty years to cure this stuff is the mark of a real class outfit.

Well Matthew you bought a superbly crafted tool, and got advice from all angles including Ebony, e-mail 'em to confirm what they told me, and good luck.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

FYI : the Ebony RW45 is made out of mahogany, not ebony wood.

You haven't bothered to read the original question, he asked about the caring for Ebony wood, everything applies regardless of what wood is on what camera.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

A while back someone asked for directions to Ken Hough's Deardorff website. Here it is: http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/