Thread: Newb in the Midwest

Newb in the Midwest

Been gathering items to delve into LF. I have a Sinar F, film backs, old film (for experimenting with), tripod from MF (heavy Bogen studio tripod), and now some lenses to work with.

Took a few shots the other day, nothing exciting but am excited to see how they develop out. Two images are identical; based on the development of the first neg, I will tweak the second negs development.

I have to say, before anything else, I was getting familiar with the controls. I focused the image, the foreground was not in focus, when I tilted the front lensboard and watched everything in the foreground come into focus - I was hooked!

I have a lot to learn but am enjoying the ride so far. I have shot 35mm, 6x6cm and will be working with 4x5 now. I have a 5x7 field camera that I will need lenses for (I have a 140mm, 150mm and 210mm for the 4x5 - but that won't stop me from putting them on the 5x7 just to see).

I have checked out this web site for some time now and finally joined it in the hopes of learning more and being able to pick the brains of others when I run into difficulties.

I have read Steve Simmons and am almost finished with Harvey Shaman's book. I have also read Adams' books The Negative, The Print and The Camera.

Thanks for having the web site and all the information posted about technique and such. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Tim

Re: Newb in the Midwest

Welcome to group therepy, Tim! We'll try to help you with your new addiction. Sounds like you're pretty well set up for a start. You don't say what brand lenses you have, but a few 150mm's and many 210mm's will cover 5x7 quite well...give it a try!

Welcome. I like Vick referring to it as therepy. It has been for me.

Isn't Scheimflug (tilting the plane of focus) great!

I have a Sinar F, actually both a 4x5 and an 8x10, as well as some other Sanar parts, like a P standard. If you find yourself in need of advice or spare parts I'd be happy to help you out. I bought my first Sinar in 1984, so I have a few years under my belt with it. I never had many problems, other than those pesky little screws falling out and the front standard plastic hook for the bail (locks the standard to the rail) cracking (do NOT overtighten!). All in all I've been very happy with it. I also regularly shoot a Wista 4x5, Deardorff 8x10 and a Universal 11x14, as well as 35mm Underwater (Nikonos).

I'm in Chicago, not a world away, but not down the block either. If you ever come up this way give me a shout. Love to share tips in person.

I mainly shoot nudes in natural settings, dancers (I really like when they are in the air) and general scenics. I do shoot some portraits and still lifes, as part of a long term project on people that make things the old fashioned way, and the tools they use.

For 4x5 I have a good range of glass, 47, 65, 90, 150, 180/320, 210 and 300.
    For my work the 90 seems to be the workhorse. I almost never use my 150, I skip over it for the 210. The 65 is an old Grandagon, doesn't really cover but fills a gap until I can buy a decent 75 that will.

I shoot mainly HP5, shoot it a stop over its rating, at ISO 200, develop in 3.5 gallon tanks with 4-up holders, D76, 68F, 9 minutes. This may be too contrasty for some tastes but it works for me.

If you ever need any help, advice with your Sinar or whatever you can call me at 630 261 5729

All the best, and welcome to the group therepy!

Michael

Welcome Tim!

Where in St. Louis do you live? I’m near Page and 270.

I’m in the twilight of my mediocre photography career but I’m still “hooked”. I use a 5x7 with lots of lenses. If you need help with anything or if you just want to talk, let me know.

Jerome

http://www.jeromehawkins.com/

Hi, Tim.

I'm another Tim down in the Springfield area, or as some call it, Branson North.

Welcome to the wonderful large format world. You've got a good resource for all used thing photographic right there in St. Louis. Paul Mayberry has Classiccamera.com down near Webster Groves and buys and sells collections and studios all over the country. Great guy and tons of constantly changing gear. That's his seller name on the bay.

Enjoy the ride.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Thanks for the welcome all. As for equipment, I have;
    Ilex Paragon Anastigmat F/4.5 5 1/2" 140mm in Acme No.2 Shutter w/lens hood,
    Rodenstock Symmar-S F/5.6 150mm in Copal No.0 Shutter,
    Rodenstock Sironar F/5.6 @ 210mm in Copal No.1 Shutter,
    Bogen 3011 Tripod,
    Bogen 3055 Ball Head which may not be the best choice for LF but it's what I have. I can pan independently of the ball setting with it.

I also just got a Seneca Competitor 5x7....

I was given
    T-Max 400, 50 sheets
    TMax 100, 50 sheets (the new)
    Tmax 100, 100 sheets (the old),
    Portra 160NC, 50 sheets; All to play with as I learn LF in 4x5.

I have two cable releases, one of which stays in the 'pushed' position until I release the collar on it.

I have a Polaroid 545 film holder and a Horseman 120 back that fits my Sinar F.
    There are also 2 extension rails for the Sinar, 1 long and 1 short + an extra bellows but need a way to attach them together if I do much close up work. Plus I need to learn about Bellows Extensions when doing that.
    Oh, and a bag bellows in case I ever get a WA lens.

Ready for the practical application of what I have been reading about now.

As for therapy - yea, I'm familiar with the routine there.... The addiction and the recovery. I really like the slowing down part of LF so far.

Once again, thanks for the welcome and I hope to be able to meet some of you in person some day.