Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet Plate camera manufacturers?

Re: Wet Plate camera manufacturers?

Why don't you take a look at http://www.collodion.com/

That site is nothing but Wet plate and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Ty G View Post
    David, the adapter backs are custom made; so Ray or Steve would need your camera in their shop. You would need to get in touch with them for more. I was doing them for a while, yet I am plenty busy doing complete wet plate cameras.

Another note: there is a guy either here or on APUG that just started doing modified film holders for wet plate in 8x10. I think his first name is Bill ... something. Whoever he is, I apologize for not remembering his name or if I got the description wrong. Maybe someone can chime in with his name.
    Bill Schwab

Quote Originally Posted by likeoras View Post
    Barry, you mentioned that a 16" lens is a good useable length? Would you mind expanding on that?

Thanks guys...this is helping me out a lot.
    please note that 16 inch petzvals require a lens board that is at least 7 1/2 inches square...at least.

i too like longer FL lenses on portraits. i prefer 16-18 inch lenses on 8x10.

i have used and/or purchased from all the above camera and holder manufacturers.

the best all around bar none is black art wood craft. if you want a perfect camera with a build fit for the museum or the field Steve is the guy. the wait is worth it i an assure you. e also makes all kinds of accessories. his plexi work is top notch! they are simply the best crafted tools money can buy.

Ty makes excellent cameras as well. do not get me wrong! if you can not wait for 6-8 monththen Ty is your guy. he builds a great camera that will satisfy most photographers no problem.

Bill Schwab make the holders. great stuff. they fit any standard 8x10 spring back camera and are highly crafted. i have one and i love it. the best solution for those who want to shoot multiple cameras or those who want to try it out with out buying a specific WP camera. (please note that the plates are slightly smaller than 8x10 so do not cut any glass, tin or aluminum till you know the measurements (i am a dumb ass!)....but we are working to get Bill to make em take 8x10... right bill?

that is the break down IMO. those three guys (steve, ty, and bill) or build it yourself! really!

cheers

eddie
    Last edited by eddie; 6-May-2010 at 18:21.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

funkadelic

When I asked Steve about a custom wet plate back for my 5x7, he said he had recently stopped making them.

Wet plate camera manufacturers? That reminds me of an old old (1978, yikes!) SNL skit, the Scotch Boutique. They sell nothing but Scotch Tape!!