Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglas Darkroom Sink Question

Nicholas O. Lindan

Re: Fiberglas Darkroom Sink Question

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    use the West System materials.
    The West system is designed for building boats. There is nothing better for putting over wood to make a waterproof system. I have seen some lovely wood boats that have been glassed: all the beauty of wood without the headaches and maintenance typical of a wooden boat.

Fiberglass is messy stuff, I wouldn't use it. I used a Benjamin Moore product called "Moorelastic," which was some sort of elastomeric paint. I'm sure other companies must make the same or similar product. Very easy to apply, didn't stain badly, and I never had a problem in six or seven yearrs. There have been a lot of posts here about building and waterproofing darkroom sinks, a search should turn up more information than you need.

Make sure your drain is in one corner of the sink, not in the center, and make the legs slightly longer on the opposite end so that the water will flow towards the drain.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Moorlastic sounds great!
    My first sink was 3/4" plywood painted with boat hull enamel. Without any reinforcement.
    I used it for 10 years until I outgrew it & installed a bigger one,
    at that time I left it out on the side of the garage, it was watertight when I gave it away 5 years later!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

I have used epoxy resin followed by epoxy paint (probably overkill) on 2 sinks and never had a problem. Just caulked the seams, never used fiberglass fabric. I just found it easier not to use the fabric and I have never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    For those of you who have done this, could I get away with resin over plywood, with mat/tape in just the seams, or should I have Fiberglas mat over everything? Thanks.
    Whatever you do do not use fiberglass resin or elastomeric coating. The fiberglass resin is full VOCs (volitile organic compounds) and the elastomeric coating will eventually fail.

What you should do is use West Sytems Epoxy. I just rebuilt my sink and stapled 6 oz fiberglass cloth onto the bottom and sides and then coated with the West Systems Epoxy. I set my plastic drain first though. I routed a recess in the wood so the drain was flush.

There are some pictures here on the forum after my sink was finished. If you have any questions just send me a PM.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    ... do not use fiberglass resin ...
    I presume you mean polyester resin as opposed to epoxy resin. "Fiberglass resin" is something of a misnomer. Regardless, there may exist polyester resins without VOCs. See: http://www.admiraltymarinecoatings.c...rtb/partb.html I have never used this product, but it might address that particular concern.

I am not a fan of polyester resin anyway. The last time I used polyester resin, the fumes were very nasty. Epoxy is much better in every way.

I wouldn't do a sink without fiberglass. Reinforced or not, the epoxy is expensive. Why not spend just a little more for a far tougher product?

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Whatever you do do not use fiberglass resin or elastomeric coating. The fiberglass resin is full VOCs (volitile organic compounds) and the elastomeric coating will eventually fail.

What you should do is use West Sytems Epoxy. I just rebuilt my sink and stapled 6 oz fiberglass cloth onto the bottom and sides and then coated with the West Systems Epoxy. I set my plastic drain first though. I routed a recess in the wood so the drain was flush.

There are some pictures here on the forum after my sink was finished. If you have any questions just send me a PM.

Don
    I guess it's hard to argue with "eventually" fail. We'll all eventually fail. But the elastomeric product I mentioned in my earlier post lasted for the 6 or 7 years I used it and gave no signs of failing. Plus it's so easy to apply that if you were really worried you could just reapply a coat every few years. It took me maybe 15 minutes maximum to paint it on the interior of my 3'x10' sink.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

What about using a Rhino truck bed coating? DIY or pro application.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I guess it's hard to argue with "eventually" fail. We'll all eventually fail. But the elastomeric product I mentioned in my earlier post lasted for the 6 or 7 years I used it and gave no signs of failing. Plus it's so easy to apply that if you were really worried you could just reapply a coat every few years. It took me maybe 15 minutes maximum to paint it on the interior of my 3'x10' sink.
    Brian,

I know two people (one being myself) discovered that the elastomeric coating failed after 7 or 8 years.

West System Epoxy is superior in every way.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    I presume you mean polyester resin as opposed to epoxy resin. "Fiberglass resin" is something of a misnomer. Regardless, there may exist polyester resins without VOCs. See: http://www.admiraltymarinecoatings.c...rtb/partb.html I have never used this product, but it might address that particular concern.

I am not a fan of polyester resin anyway. The last time I used polyester resin, the fumes were very nasty. Epoxy is much better in every way.

I wouldn't do a sink without fiberglass. Reinforced or not, the epoxy is expensive. Why not spend just a little more for a far tougher product?
    The epoxy is extremely tough. The fiberglass adds strutural integrity to the wood frame. There are plenty of people on this list that will vouch for West System Epoxy.

Don