Thread: Traveling to Jamaica, any tips?

Traveling to Jamaica, any tips?

Hello all,
    I will be traveling to Jamaica next week and will be there about one week. The first three days I will be in Negril in the western tip of the island and I will be spending about four days in Ocho Rios in the north central part of the island. I know that there are many waterfalls and great beaches to photograph, but could use some ideas and tips for photography. I will be renting a car and I know that will be an adventure in itself as they drive on the opposite side of the road to what I am accustomed.

I have heard various things about the safety of travel on the island and I am generally not too worried about that, but would love to hear of your experiences in Jamaica.

My plan is to take medium format (Pentax 645) and leave the 4x5 at home. I haven't flown in several years, but think that I can still take my Lowepro Photo Trekker on the plane with out much problem.

Any tips or info that anyone can give would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Robert

Re: Traveling to Jamaica, any tips?

I worked in Jamaica for 1 year; it's unlikely you'll have any problems. Negril and Ocho Rios are tourist towns and are different from the , ahem, real Jamaica (Spanish Town, Trenchtown (don't go there!!!) et. al.) The Spanish Town historical district is small and nice. Port Royal is nice but they will not allow you to photograph the fort with the 645 without a permit. Violence is usually confined to Linstead, lower Kingston and Montego Bay (non-tourist areas of Montego Bay.) Oh, Portland is very nice too. There is a town there called "Boston" reputed to have the best jerk pork/chicken in the island though other places are okay too for that. Oh, try the cheese patties!

Lack of film and processing facilities forced me to switch from my Rollei 6x6 to a 5DMkII while I was there. Hope you have fun!!

Port Royal:

Rory,
    Thanks for the heads-up and info. I was in Kingston about 40 y/o when I was in the Navy. Spent a weekend getting drunk and doing other things that sailors do when they have been out to sea for a long time. I didn't think that Kingston was that dangerous, but then again I was young and foolish and didn't know any better.

Cheers,
    Robert

Hahaha! You'll be fine then. Be safe!

Dear Robert,

Twinrix...

jim k

Rory,

As you lived in Jamaica, how difficult will it be to find 110 60hz electric to run and charge my electric appliances? I will have a car and will bring DC chargers as a backup, but am interested in there AC power.

Also anything else that you might be able to tell me about getting along in Jamaica would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Robert

Oh, it's 110V 60Hz up there so no problems. It's good that you're renting a car because the Jamaica certified taxis are expensive. Watch out for mini buses, those guys drive crazy!