Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: pyro developer, but which?

Drew Wiley

Re: pyro developer, but which?

"Eye of newt, toe of frog, wool of bat, tongue of dog..." Jay, I think you're one of those guys who loves to play devil's advocate, and that's fine, but I think you'd start
    an argument with someone who says the earth revolves around the sun. And I'm sure
    glad you don't work behind the counter at a local pharmacy. Read my lips ... right now
    I'm in less than 5-min walking distance from major pharmacetical and cosmetics plants.
    I talk to their lab techs and even owners frequently. You can't just throw a shovelful
    of this or that into anything you want, and there are often extremely involved pathways for how a particular ingredient must be encapsulated. With wife has three
    advanced degrees in this kind of stuff. Meanwhile, have fun with your lead-lined
    moonshine still.

Drew,

I don't know what anything you wrote has to do with anything I wrote, but be well, and for god's sake, don't touch anything!

Drew Wiley

Of course you don't understand my comment, Jay, because you're just blowing BS and
    obviously don't have much knowledge about this topic at all. You might be a fine photographer with a lot to offer, but you know the saying, if there's smoke, there's fire, and this one certainly smells like a fire made with buffalo chips. I don't have a lot
    of formal education on this - just three years each of organic chem and physiology,
    and have forgotten 99% of that - but since my spouse has so much ongoing study which has life and death consequences for her patients, I am frequently asked to help
    out in the evenings and sort through the websites on a particular topic. The web is
    a very very democratic medium. But my "helper" job is to locate the 5% of the sites
    with medical info of actual value, so she can home in on those without wading through
    the other relatively worthless 95%. Last month she had to deal with the consequences
    of a bootleg botox mfg who was only off in the formulation by about .000000001%.
    Most of the patients died; one of them was referred to her clinic to see what could
    be done to correct the problem, if anything. "Double, double toil and trouble; fire burn
    and cauldron bubble" (Macbeath).

It appears that everyone has had a chance to share their opinion and well-meaning advice

Thanks Ken.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...touching a single drop of Parathion is fatal...
    Drew,
    Thanks for bringing to the attention the importance of using protection while being exposed to dangerous enviroment (I guess Castro's area in SF could use the benefit)

But some part of your statement I can tell you is not 100% true.
    Few decades back Cuba was affected by a epidemy transmitted by mosquitoes.
    The only way to control it was to attack the mosquito population and during months every single day at sunset a number of planes, pickup trucks and workers with backpacks spent a couple of hours fumigating guess what "parathion". You could feel it in your skin and smell it. Still I never heard of anybody inside or out the country suffering of any damage.

I'm sure is toxic but touching a single drop is NOT fatal.

Okay, guys, it's a matter of calculated risk. Yes, there are many substances we deal with every day that are toxic. But refusing the convenient use of simple protection for one of them just because we aren't protected from others seems a bit like justifying a sugary drink to go along with our fatty doughnut. One could say that there is no sense in worrying about the sugar if one is going to eat the fat, but one could also say that the worst thing one can do when eating a fatty doughnut is pile on another few hundred empty and nutritionless calories from a sugary drink.

I live in an area with relatively high radon concentrations. Radon is a naturally occurring substance with wildly varying opinions as to its dangers. One thing seems obvious to me: There is a lot more cancer in this part of the country than where I lived before. I don't know what caused it, and I have no idea whether radon was a contributor. Maybe it's the water, or the gene pool, or the research done in this area, or the exposure to political blather. Anecdotal? Of course. But it is also anecdotal to claim there is no effect, if it hasn't been carefully studied in large populations. And even then, risk in large populations says little about risk in individuals. (I know a thing or two about statistics.) Since such studies haven't been done, it only makes sense to take reasonable precautions, on the off chance that the concerns are real. Putting in a ventilation system to prevent the buildup of radon is a lot less convenient (read: expensive) than using rubber gloves when handling darkroom chemicals. But doing it just seemed like a reasonable precaution.

Rick "whose grandfather-in-law, a career NIH scientist, died untimely of Parkinson's, and who lives just down the road from Fort Dietrich" Denney

I see the horse is still breathing.

Drew Wiley

Armando - dead horse or not, I was referring to parathion in drums. It's incredibly lethal
    (even to horses) and has been highly illegal in this state for a long time. For spraying
    it was diluted millions to one, but was replaced by malathion, which is controversial but
    far less toxic to humans. It was bootlegged from out of the country for sometimes a
    couple hundred grand per drum, and interacting with the importers was just as dangerous as crossing high-level narco traffickers. (Sorry, Ken ... and it would be nice
    if someone came up with a "new" dead horse; after all, this forum is supposed to be
    creative).

Drew

Are you involved in a lot of threads where the horse has appeared?

Mike