Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: pyro developer, but which?

Re: pyro developer, but which?

This is one of the rare threads I have read in a long time.

I must admit that I do not understand the need for testing--as long as one understands exposure/development relationships. And I would assume that, more or less, those reading a thread like this would (or should) know exposure/development relationships as readily as they can count from one to ten

My recommendation is to pick a developer--any developer--based on your reading here or on anything else. Then go expose film and make prints. If the negatives are not right and you cannot get a satisfactory print--and you understand exposure/development relationships--you will know what corrections to make for the next time.

And if the photographs do not come out--so what! At least you will have had the pleasure of making photographs.

And don't change your developer or film or paper unless you are unsatisfied with your work. If you are unsatisfied, then try something else. But by all means make pictures.

I have seen too many aspiring photographers spend far too much time making tests--of film, developers, paper, etc.--or testing cameras and lenses. A few of them never get around to really making pictures.

I understand that the more scientifically minded above us may get more pleasure in the testing procedures than in the making of meaningful photographs, and if anyone reading this fits into that category--well then, by all means continue to do what brings you the most pleasure. But for those who aspire to make meaningful photographs, consider doing any testing only after you are dissatisfied with the results you are getting.

As stated previously in this thread, there are no magic developers. The magic is in one's vision.

Michael A. Smith

Yep, I 'used to' test and test all the time! Each 'new' developer was tried, I'd shoot the grey card in light/shadow getting the time temp exactly right, developing the roll of film as if I was assembling an A bomb.

Then the Pyro book came out and I mixed some up.... and then never, ever tested another roll/sheet of film again. All of a sudden I was getting exactly what I wanted in terms of highs/lows and sharpness. I did dabble with a touch of Amidol from time to time but the PMK formula 'as-is' is perfect for me. Photography is sooo much more fun now that I don't have to test and test and test.

Michael,

I agree completely.

Merry Christmas!

Michael,

You make some good points, but it should be pointed out that the magic of vision is not mutually incompatible with film testing. I enjoy film testing as a practical and intellectual curiosity but people who have seen my work have never questioned my vision.

I agree completely about learning a developer and sticking to it. I have only used seriously four developers in my entire career as a photographer, DK50 and D76 for the first fifteen years, PMK from the time it came out around 1990 until the late 1990s, and Pyrocat since 1998. I have tested many other developers out of curiosity and while many had some interesting characteristics I never felt that any of them would improve the quality of my negatives. On the other hand I am confident that I could adapt to a a number of other pyro and/or non pyro developers if for some reason I was forced to switch.

And for that matter, I could be just as happy working totally with digital if I could get the same quality for the price as with film because ultimately I am much more about the final print than how I get there, though process is interesting. In fact, I am going to Tunisia for a few weeks in January and am considering going all digital just to see what I can achieve with this Gigapan Epic 100 device and a Lumix GF-1 IR converted 12 mp camera. Won't have to worry about traveling with film and I will be able to process all of my files on the road and upload them in real time.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Some of you may not remember the pyro wars that ended in 2007, or you may remember and don’t care. I remember them very well and they were a source of personal misery, and IMO Jay DeFehr was one of the primary persons responsible for those wars. Jay left the forum for a couple of years and there have been no more pyro wars. Now he is back, and I can see where this is heading, and I don’t like the bearing.

I am also very disappointed in some of the comments made in response to the exchange between Jay and me. I have contributed some thousands of messages to this forum, nearly all of them informative and without controversy I am very much resent having the exchange referred to as childish, and that I should go sit in a corner while some enjoyed their Christmas spirit. This, as much as the exchange with Jay, convinced me that I am wasting my time since what I say seems to be so little appreciated.

Finally, I have a serious health issue that has required a lot of radiation therapy, and other treatment, and I don’t need the additional stress created by these types of exchanges.

For all of the above reasons I have decided that I will no longer participate in any threads on pyro developers on this forum. I am sick of the conflict and what was once a source of great pleasure for me has become an albatross.

So there it is. Say what you like, think what you like, but it won’t matter a bit to me. I have made my decision and that is that.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Finally, I have a serious health issue that has required a lot of radiation therapy, and other treatment, and I don’t need the additional stress created by these types of exchanges.
    Stress is a very bad thing. I hope everything will be okay for you, Sandy.
    I hope that you continue contributing here as I (and many others!) have learnt a lot from you over the years here, as well as at your carbon forum.

Cheers!!

Andrew

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Sandy,
    Forgive me if you felt insulted in any way for my comments and my poor choice of words but this is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I can imagine how the body reacts to such a aggressive medical treatment and you and your love ones are aware how edgy you are being. It just means you are human.

Now, your guys in more than one occasion transformed a disagreement around a technical issue in a personal exchange, for no reason, and it takes two to tango and you should avoid it.

I think you should not abandon the topic knowing how many people are being help with your comments. Esa no es la actitud de un maestro.

Changing the subject. Do not make the mistake of travelling with only digital gear.
    It does not feel the same. Grab at least a 35mm as a backup and a shield-bag for the airports.

I have a little Netbook I use only for travel and you’re more than welcome to borrow it for Tunisia. It’s very small and convenient for travel and you do not have to worry if you lose it on the trip.

I hope to continue to read your posts in the forum and keep in touch, even from Tunisia

Regards,
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Some of you may not remember the pyro wars that ended in 2007, or you may remember and don’t care. I remember them very well and they were a source of personal misery, and IMO Jay DeFehr was one of the primary persons responsible for those wars. Jay left the forum for a couple of years and there have been no more pyro wars. Now he is back, and I can see where this is heading, and I don’t like the bearing.

I am also very disappointed in some of the comments made in response to the exchange between Jay and me. I have contributed some thousands of messages to this forum, nearly all of them informative and without controversy I am very much resent having the exchange referred to as childish, and that I should go sit in a corner while some enjoyed their Christmas spirit. This, as much as the exchange with Jay, convinced me that I am wasting my time since what I say seems to be so little appreciated.

For all of the above reasons I have decided that I will no longer participate in any threads on pyro developers on this forum. I am sick of the conflict and what was once a source of great pleasure for me has become an albatross.

So there it is. Say what you like, think what you like, but it won’t matter a bit to me. I have made my decision and that is that.

Sandy

Armando,

You are absolutely correct in that technical discussions should not morph into personal issues. I apologize for my part in that to Jay DeFehr and to others who have followed this thread.

That said, I must stand by my decision to stay out of discussions about pyro developers. In addition to the reasons I have already mentioned I have a number of writing projects that have been on hold for much too long and I need to get to them. The forums are a distraction from that work, and from my own creative carbon transfer printing, and I feel that I need to devote more of my time to the things that really matter to my life.

Thank you for the offer of a netbook, but in fact I already have a HP netbook, and a Blackberry witha data plan that works in foreign countries, so I should be covered pretty well as far as keeping in touch goes.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 26-Dec-2010 at 17:30.

Sandy, you've contributed much to the discussions over the years I've been here. It would be a shame for you to go dark in the very area where you've contributed so much.

People can be unintended annoying on occasion.. Those you can not agree or deal with, just ignore them would be my recommendation.

It would negatively impact the community if you went silent.

Very sorry to hear about your health issues, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bob

I rarely read any reference to the old ABC Pyro formula. I use this. Is it out of style? Why? I don't use TMAX films.