Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to Scan but on a budget!

Want to Scan but on a budget!

I'm wanting to scan my negatives that will range from 35mm to 4"x5", I have looked through a few pages on here unfortunately it seems like I'm over my head budget wise if I want to scan 4x5s and have a nice print made. I will have a hard time getting the fiancee to allow over 500$. I will still do darkroom prints but would like to have my negatives scanned in for showing online, and scan prints too I suppose. Thanks for your help -Tyler

Re: Want to Scan but on a budget!

Epson V700 or Epson 4990 on e-bay?
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Check the Epson store on their web site. The have a clearance section and they sell refurbs at good prices.

If you can sit tight another month or so I will be selling my V700 with full Silverfast AI software and a Scan Science wet mount system.
    I'm waiting for my new (used Creo IQSmart1) scanner to show up. Once it's up and running I will be selling my scanner for $450. Quite a deal when you consider the wet mount system is over $150 and the software is about $200. Let me know if you are interested and I can PM you before I list it.

Take Care,

Doug

Tyler,

If budget is your primary concern, you may want to consider the HP G4050 consumer flatbed. It retails for just $200. I don't know what your criteria is for a "nice print" and you didn't mention how big. I think most folks would agree that you can get pretty good print results from a 4X enlargement from a flatbed. I was pleasantly surprised to get excellent quality Chromira prints on Fuji Crystal Archive paper from my HP flatbed at 20x24". These 20x24 prints are currently hanging at a local photo exhibit and I'm quite happy with the results.

Just for reference though, I'm scanning 4x5 transparency film, not negatives; although scanning a neg shouldn't present any problems. I have NOT scanned 35mm negs or trannies with this scanner as I have a dedicated 35mm scanner for than (Minolta DiImage II) I think I would be consistent with others in recommending a dedicated 35mm scanner as results from scanning 35mm from a flatbed are less than optimal.

There are of course many, many advantages of using a quality, high end scanners (drum or otherwise,) but I believe you can obtain excellent results without having to fork out the big bucks. The dynamic range you can get from a flatbed, and from this HP will NOT measure up to what can be obtained by more expensive equipment. But you CAN obtain excellent results from consumer flatbeds if you start with properly exposed and focused originals and have a good handle on processing those scans in Photoshop.

BTW, I use the supplied manufacturer's scanning software and film holder.

I make no claim that what I do can beat a drum scan.... but if you just want to be able to scan some pieces of film for your website or some decent sized prints, you can certainly get that done without spending a fortune. Feel free to drop me a note if you want some additional info.

Lon

A dissenting view! Wonderful. Sometimes I think that amature photographers are sheep in human clothing.

David

Lon, I took a look at the G4050 reviews on amazon.com and a lot of people seem less than satisfied with the scanner. Have you run into any of the problems talked about there like glitchy settings returning to defaults etc. ?

Thanks for the reply Lon, I may have to do what you say and get a scanner that will scan my medium format and 4x5 negatives (BTW I shoot mostly black and white) and then something else for 35mm. I'm less worried about the 35mm and 4x5s as I just got a hassy 501cm and going to spend the summer with it. Will the flat beds also be good for scanning my prints from the darkroom? I like to print on Pearl paper as of now so will the reflected light be an issue?

I perused the reviews as well before responding and noticed a few patterns. Most everyone that is dissatisfied seem to be bulk scanning 35mm slides or negs - as many as 16 at a time. And most of these folks it seems are wanting to scan large numbers of slides, like family slides - hundreds if not thousands of slides. As I mentioned in my original comments, I have never used this scanner to bulk scan 35mm slides. Perhaps fine for archiving family slides, but I don't think you'll get great results with any flatbed - at least results that many photogs here expect if they want to make enlargements.

Secondly, I think most of the respondents are typical consumers and not photographers who's intent are large prints. Many comments about speed. The average Joe probably doesn't realize that any flatbed scanning at 4800... at 16bit, with other things like ICE,etc., WILL BE SLOW.

To answer your question, the ONLY problem I've had in the 2+ years I've been using this scanner, was operator error. I used a cheap USB extension cable which caused timing delays. I had the issue escalated with HP- they supplied me a new TMA, got engineers involved and they finally asked me how the scanner was cabled up. Once I ran a single, quality USB cable, the problem disappeared. I've had no problems with settings or other issues, drivers, etc. I'm using Win XP, not Vista or 7.

Tyler, your MF negs should do ok, but I can't speak to making a reflective scan of the Pearl Paper. I've scanned lots of misc prints for family type purposes, but nothing nothing of significance with b&w prints.

Getting back to the reviews and such. It's kinda like the old debates between Chevy and Ford or Nikon and Canon. You can find plenty of people who've never had a problem with either and stand by those products.... and sure enough someone else who drives a <ford> out of parking log and the tranny drops on the street... :-) Everyone has different experiences. I've had no issues and I only responded to this question because my personal experience is very positive.

YMMV.

Lon

Thanks again Lon