Thread: RRS Camera plates

RRS Camera plates

I've bought my first ball head, a used Markins, is it safe to say that all RRS plates will fit the Markins head?

Re: RRS Camera plates

If your markins has a standard screw type lock down mechanism, I'd say yes they'll work fine. I have a arca swiss head with the flip-lock mechanism and the rrs plates aren't the same sizes as others so adjustments of the platform is needed when switching between brands. I use kirk, rrs, chinese knockoffs, and home made plates. For what they are (strip of aluminum with two grooves and a hole in the middle) rrs plates and other name brand ones cost WAY to much $$$$$.

The M20 does have the screw type clamping mechanism si I should be OK

It's kind of amusing that for over 25 years I've used the same type of hex plate or straight forward flat plate on my tripods for a variety of cameras & formats. I guess I was stuck in a rut.

I do wonder though how much difference individual plates make for the majority of applications.

Hey Vinny,

How do you make the home made RRS plates? I don't have a CNC machine at home
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

I just use a bit of 40mm x 6mm flat and file a 45deg edge, not right down to make a razor, leave a 1mm or so. /_________\ bit like that...