Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPad and this forum

Re: iPad and this forum

Hmmm, when I write "for example this method", this is only an example (sorry also for the copy+paste error, dunno how that extra space got in there, but at least it got someone a free shot in the discussion ;-)

The method in question had a certain success rate at the time it was tested and in my experience that rate will only raise. If this method had been used to "detect" (rather "serve for") the iPhone, the new iPads owners would have been more happy - since the iPad's screen size would have been correctly triggering the non-mobile css edition.

Personally I prefer the good old "separate link to mobile edition" approach. But if there is any automatic detection desired, selecting on the CSS is the "officially recommended" approach by the W3C.

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    The problem is that 16x9 is not text friendly. It's wide and not too tall. I use a 4x5 screen for text, web etc and a 16x9 screen for video and games.

Works well.
    A browser could indeed allow one to optimize the display for wide screens. Simple make it possible to put the tabs, bookmarks, toolbars, and menus on the side instead of at the top. That would open up a window for web content display the full height of the screen, instead of the sliver that's left under all the application stuff at the top of the window.

Rick "more configurability, please" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    A browser could indeed allow one to optimize the display for wide screens. Simple make it possible to put the tabs, bookmarks, toolbars, and menus on the side instead of at the top. That would open up a window for web content display the full height of the screen, instead of the sliver that's left under all the application stuff at the top of the window.

Rick "more configurability, please" Denney
    That's certainly possible but I like my text kinda tall rather than wide. I don't like the M$ side scrolling screens either. I'd rather move down for more.

It's partly a personal preference but a lot of people are more comfortable with vertical scrolling in a fairly square screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Welter View Post
    Hmmm, when I write "for example this method", this is only an example (sorry also for the copy+paste error, dunno how that extra space got in there, but at least it got someone a free shot in the discussion ;-)

The method in question had a certain success rate at the time it was tested and in my experience that rate will only raise.
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    The fact that it worked on 85% of mobile devices at the time it was tested doesn't bode well for future ruggedness.
    I stand corrected. Future devices will more likely comply with that standard, so the success rate will rise. Does bode well for future ruggedness.

...Mike

ok, I read the whole thread and didn't find the answer to how to make the LFF display
    more "iPad friendly"

today the iPad launched in Canada and a bunch of other countries
    so I finally got mine

now how do you use it....?
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

thought I would try a different forum to see what happens

occassionally go to "Canon Photography On the Net"
    it comes up just fine, so it must be related to the engine this forum uses....
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Guys, download the Atomic Web Browser for iPad, then go to Settings and change the Browser's User Agent to identify as "Desktop Safari." That's what I did, and this site finally works great on the iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Guys, download the Atomic Web Browser for iPad, then go to Settings and change the Browser's User Agent to identify as "Desktop Safari." That's what I did, and this site finally works great on the iPad.
    Sure does work on this forum. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Uh huh.

Hello I also have problem with this web site and ipad. I do not know much, but It looks like I'm getting cell phone view, which is rather inconvenient because all links are very tiny and hard to hit. Is there any way to switch to "normal" view?