Thread: Gitzo Center CF Column

Gitzo Center CF Column

Folks,

I'm currently using a no-column Gitzo 3541XLS with a 1370M head as my light camera tripod. With the low profile head, tilting the camera up can be a problem, so I'd like to try a short, non-geared CF center column and tripod plate. But I can't seem to find one listed separately. Anyone know where to buy one and/or the product number?

Cheers, Steve

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Gitzo Center CF Column

Steve,

I don't know why you would want to put a Center Column on this tripod unless you are tall in the extreme. However you can by replacing the platform and using either a quick sliding or geared CC. B&H sells this tripod and has them in stock and should be able to supply with the parts that you will need. Keep in mind that if you do convert it, you won't be able to get within a couple of inches from the ground with a CC without converting it back. I have the G1348 which extends above my head. Fully extended I would need to find something to stand on to see thru the viewfinder/GG.

Thomas

Thomas,

I've not seen the parts listed at B&H. Got a link? Maybe I missed them.

Height isn't the problem. It's tilting the camera up with a low profile head. See jpeg. The head is tilted up all the way, and I had to shorten the rear tripod legs to get the camera pointed up more, which was on the verge of making the rig unstable.

Cheers, Steve

Can't you spin the camera around on the head to take advantage of the tilt in the other direction?

Steven,

Now that's an excellent idea I didn't think of for some strange reason since I've done a similar thing with other heads! In other words, yes I can.

Cheers, Steve

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

I've done that. You can find them regularly on ebay.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Steve,

According to the Gitzo booklet accompanying my tripod, it appears that the geared center column is the only option. I thought about buying one for mine in the past but decided against it because of the added weight (~ 2.5lbs if I remember correctly) and its limited use. I find myself using the low ground level position far more than an extreme elevation although a 10 foot triopd would come in handy for some shots. Here is the Gitzo instructions on the conversion:

Apologies for the small size, but figure 5 shows removing the plate by removing the two holding bolts and attaching the geared column in Fig. 6 and reattaching and tightening the bolts. B&H should still sell this which was around $300 when I last checked. I have also seen it on Ebay.