Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Development with pyrocat hd in jobo cpe2

Development with pyrocat hd in jobo cpe2

Hello all,
    I need your help.
    I develop Fomapan 100 4x5" in an Jobo cpe2 with rotation level one in pyrocat hd 1:1:100 and the developing was uneven. You can see that in the sky. I developed the positiv a little bit darker that you can see the stripes better.
    I develop with an Jobo multitank 2 system 2500.
    Filmholder 2509, 400ml developer, time 9 min, temp. 22°C, prewash 5min., stoppbath 1min., fixer 5 min.
    What was wrong and what can I do. I have also an tank for stand developing but I didn´t tried it.
    Here the pictures for explanation.

I would be happy to get a few messages back

Best regards
    Guenther
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120729-img043.jpg   20120729-img044.jpg  

Re: Development with pyrocat hd in jobo cpe2

Increase speed to #4.
    You don't need more than a 2-3 min prewash. Someone will chime in and tell you to skip it all together, not me.
    Use more developer, 400ml ain't much and 750ml wouldn't cost you much more.
    Are you rotating both directions?

Thank you for your reply vinny,
    but I can use only two speeds and the tank volume is I think max. 500ml.
    The rotation is in two directions too.
    What´s about the developing activity if I use the speed two, I thought the developing activity is very short.

Best regards
    Guenther

I gave up on pyrocat after using it for many years with rotary development in a Jobo 3010. It seems to aggravate any anomalies in agitation that wouldn't show up with other developers, especially the surge type anomalies that you have in your negs usually around the periphery. It is a great developer but in the end I just didn't think it was worth it. Of course there will be people that will jump on me but I think 7 years of not knowing when a problem is going to show up is enough. The first tank I did with Rodinal after all that time with Pyrocat was perfect. Pyrocat is a great developer though. I still use Pyrocat occasionally with small formats with extremely gentle agitation.

I forgot to add the helpful stuff. Skip the stopbath (just use water) and you didn't say what kind of fix you were using if it wasn't a TF-4 type fix.

The only staining developer I'll use with rotary processing is 510-Pyro -- everything else is too problematic, in my experience.

Tim Sandstrom

Never have any problems with pyrocat-hd, but I use a jobo 3010, with 1000ml of developer, and never pre-wash.

Why not PM Sandy King?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Not exactly the same method but I use Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes with constant agitation with no dev. problems EXCEPT Pyrocat oxidizes quickly so it needs to be mixed up right before use-no farting around between mixing and usage. Could your problem be related to exhausted developer (oxidation)?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

okay, speed 2 then.
    try 750mm or 1 liter. I don't care what the tank says. pyro just has it's quarks.
    just do this and see if your results improve.
    these threads pop up all the time and I've had issues myself. There aren't issues with too much developer, just too little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    Thank you for your reply vinny,
    but I can use only two speeds and the tank volume is I think max. 500ml.
    The rotation is in two directions too.
    What´s about the developing activity if I use the speed two, I thought the developing activity is very short.

Best regards
    Guenther

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    okay, speed 2 then.
    try 750mm or 1 liter. I don't care what the tank says. pyro just has it's quarks.
    just do this and see if your results improve.
    these threads pop up all the time and I've had issues myself. There aren't issues with too much developer, just too little.
    Too little developer solution would also be my take on the problem. An insufficient amount of developer solution with Jobo can cause uneven wetting of the film. This, in combination with a slight delay in beginning agitation, will often cause streaks of the type experienced by the OP.

Regardless of the method of development, developer, or film it is essential to use enough solution and to agitate vigorously at the very beginning of development. Proper agitation for the rest of the development time is also necessary, but the first 10-30 seconds of development is critical.

As an alternative to Jobo consider BTZS type tubes. Initial wetting out of the film is usually instantaneous with BTZS tubes. And the continuous but highly randomized type of agitation you get with BTZS development is also ideal for eliminating streaks in development.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 29-Jul-2012 at 21:03.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon