Photographing the Oregon coast with John Wimberley

Photographic Education Group workshop

Photographing the Oregon coast with John Wimberley
    August 28-29 2010
    Newport Visual Arts Center
    777 NW Beach Drive Newport, Oregon 97365
    Limited to 15 students
    Tuition $130.
    This exciting workshop provides a unique opportunity to photograph the stunning Oregon coast with world-renowned photographer John Wimberley, The Portland Metro Photographic News recently called “Oregon’s Photo Laureate”. Anyone with a camera is welcome, regardless of experience level, age, format, or whether using film or digital.
    Class sessions and supportive, productive portfolio reviews will be held at the Newport Arts Center. Field trips to special, nearby locations to photograph will provide an opportunity for John to provide both group and one-on-one instructions.
    The emphasis will be on the inner awareness and exploration of each photographers’ personal relationship with potential subject matter. We will learn effective and proven methods to establish “right-relationship” with whatever we are drawn to photograph, allowing our intuition, emotions, feelings, and the essence of our individuality to fully enrich our photographs.
    This is a rare chance to spend a fun, fascinating weekend photographing one of America’s most beautiful places with “One of America’s finest living landscape photographers.”
    Bring your camera and be prepared for an enjoyable and enlightening experience.

John Wimberley was born in Bermuda during 1945, and currently lives in southern Oregon. He began photographing in 1966 while serving in the US Navy.

In reviewing his first one-man show in 1973, Artweek wrote: “The first thing that one is made aware of is that the photographer, John Wimberley, is a craftsman of the highest order. His prints are not merely technically correct, but wonderfully alive.” John became a sought-after expert in black and white film development.

In 1983 John had the first of two, two-man exhibitions with Ansel Adams. Now, with more than 44 years in photography, John’s critically acclaimed work has been honored with more than 70 major exhibitions, and is represented in more than 500 public and private collections. As The Herald of Monterey, California recently wrote: “Wimberley’s undisputed technical mastery is but the springboard for visual poetry of spiritual realms. What remains unnoticed by most, as seen through Wimberley’s eyes, becomes a powerful, mysterious invitation.”

www.johnwimberleyphotography.com

Contact PEG via this email and phone number for more information of this workshop and others.
    pegphoto@comcast.net
    503-789-1802
    Ask for Robert Brummitt

Re: Photographing the Oregon coast with John Wimberley

I have long been a fan of John's work. A tour of his website gives a hint of his mastery of the medium; truly a feast for the eyes!

It should be an inspirational weekend for those fortunate to attend.

Ditto
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Eric Biggerstaff

Double Ditto
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

How well I remember the issue of LensWork in which the "descending angel" image on his home page appeared. I had forgotten that he made that photograph. That and the rest of his photographs in that issue just knocked me over. I think I'll sign up for this workshop, thanks for bring it to my attention.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Merg, Kirk, Eric and Brian - I want to thank you for your kind words re. my work. It sure made my day when a friend directed me to this forum thread.

This summer I'm going to teach a workshop at Photographers' Formulary. Here's some information:

When: July 11-16, 2010

Where: Photographer’s Formulary, Missoula, Montana

Name of Workshop: PyroTechnics

Description: During the first half of the 20th century, film developers containing pyrogallol disappeared from the market. In the late 1960’s, John Wimberley began to experiment with this forgotten developing agent and successfully adapted it to modern film. His first formula was WD2D, and it’s publication in 1977 initiated the renaissance of this remarkable developing agent. WD2D was one of the first products sold by The Photographers’ Formulary when it was founded the same year. Now, John Wimberley has more than 40 years of experience with pyrogallol and has processed more than 40,000 large format negatives and thousands of rolls of film in it. He continues to work at refining the use of this remarkable developer.

This exciting workshop is a unique opportunity to learn about what Ansel Adams called: “the finest developing agent.” He was right, pyrogallol is renowned for producing delicate, translucent highlights, beautiful shadow detail, a noticeable increase in acutance, enhanced tonal separation and fine grain. In fact, in every respect pyrogallol produces better results than any other developing agent. This workshop will include classroom instruction, darkroom practice, field trips to beautiful locations and constructive critiques of your work. All film formats are welcome, as are all levels of experience from beginner to advanced.

Eric Biggerstaff

Hi John and thanks for your post.

Like Merg and Kirk, I have long been a fan of your art. I remember seeing a gallery show of your images in Lexington, Kentucky many years ago and they still live with me, just beautiful.

Hope to meet you some day and again, thank you for the inspiration.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I could drive there in half a day, I'm not working then, but have something else I need to do at the time...

It would be worth your while to sign up for John's other two workshops that are here in the Pacific Northwest. John has so many gems of informations to share and so many ways of how to approach your photography. I and others who have been with him learn so much more of our craft.

I took a darkroom from John. First rate! It was interesting to watch him pick out negatives on which we hadn't used a lenshood!

His images are absolutely beautiful.