Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Re: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

I hope Hugo, has had a chance to read your review and is taking notes.

It's feedback like yours, and those productive comments that will ultimately follow, that will determine what the next design revisions will be incorporated into the next generation of the 045n-x, and their larger formats as well.

Hugo are you out there?

My Toho FC45 and it is pretty compact overall since there are multiple pieces to it. It fits nicely in my backpack (a real backpack - not a photo backpack).
    I have both a Toho FC 45 and a Chamonix 045N (original). The Toho is definitely much easier to get into my Osprey Atmos 50 because it can fit into the little nooks and crannies in the pack, whereas the Chamonix needs a dedicated area that isn't always available in my pack. I use the Toho for the ultralight backpacking trips (since I'm a wimp) and the Chamonix when I go shorter distances, and as my normal 4x5 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    I believe the wingnut needs to be replaced by a dial wheel like the rest of the camera has.
    Maybe a little larger for better tension and the front standard should have positive stop at least to zero in with. I find myself bearing down on this nut to keep standard from moving. (takes two hands to screw in)

steve
    From one unfamiliar with the technology...how would a dial wheel be any more secure than a wingnut? Also, what does a monkey grinder do with the monkeys after he finishes grinding them?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    From one unfamiliar with the technology...how would a dial wheel be any more secure than a wingnut? Also, what does a monkey grinder do with the monkeys after he finishes grinding them?
    Hello, I guess I'm just used to using a dial wheel on the sinar (which is in the same position for shift).
    you'd only have to "monkey" around with this wingnut for a few seconds to see that a dial wheel would make life much easier.
    I think the bigger diameter of the dial ( just feel the tension the bigger dials on the bars exude)would cover more surface which would apply more tension and could be manipulated with one hand while you held the standard up-right with the other.
    But there again, you wouldn't need to have more tension if the standard rested in a groove ..

steve

PS. you've never had monkey soup?
    Last edited by Steve M Hostetter; 22-Apr-2010 at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    I believe the wingnut needs to be replaced by a dial wheel like the rest of the camera has.
    Maybe a little larger for better tension and the front standard should have positive stop at least to zero in with. I find myself bearing down on this nut to keep standard from moving. (takes two hands to screw in)
    I have noticed the same thing regarding the wingnut and plan on including a note in a follow-up review at about six months time. I agree STRONGLY regarding a positive stop for front standard swing/shift and/or more secure clamping. I am constantly bumping the thing and knocking it off-kilter.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    I hope Hugo, has had a chance to read your review and is taking notes.

It's feedback like yours, and those productive comments that will ultimately follow, that will determine what the next design revisions will be incorporated into the next generation of the 045n-x, and their larger formats as well.

Hugo are you out there?
    Hugo sent me a note privately regarding some aspects of the discussion here...He is definitely following this thread.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    From one unfamiliar with the technology...how would a dial wheel be any more secure than a wingnut?...
    The wingnut is difficult to access when at minimum front rise. If my fingers were any fatter, I would not be able to manage it. I am not sure that a wheel would be move secure, though it would be easier to access.

Steve

I've just received the new Chamonix 045n-2 and must say that it is very well made. Feels very well crafted. Does anyone use the Chamonix film holders? What are the preferred film holders?
    So far I really like the light weight and the quality of the craftsmanship. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic108 View Post
    Does anyone use the Chamonix film holders? What are the preferred film holders?
    This is not a direct response to your question, although I would suspect you will receive varying responses based on personal preferences, or what works best, price vs. performance, or they just happen to have an existing supply.

Some will prefer the Fidelity film holders, some Toyo. Some may have older Grafmatic holders, or Linecos, some like Fuji Quikloads.

Bottom-line: It Depends

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    The wingnut is difficult to access when at minimum front rise. If my fingers were any fatter, I would not be able to manage it. I am not sure that a wheel would be move secure, though it would be easier to access.

Steve
    Ah. That makes more sense. Thank you. I've been considering dumping my Crown and buying one of these, but it's a pile of money to just toss out there. I appreciate the information in this thread.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!