Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Re: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Oh WOW, I've been totally wanting one of these but had no idea someone had made one. I got the idea from a electronic woodworking level with the a beeping feature, and since I am perpetually cockeyed (I cannot shoot handheld level to save my soul), I thought it would be wonderful to have in a cam level. Even better would be level in two planes, for when I handle hold the crown graphic and am looking to not get converging verticals; it is surprisingly hard to judge this by feel, and the viewfinder is too distorted to be reliable. More practice helps, of course, and I have been working on that.

As an aside, my Wisner Flight also has levels which are too slow. It is an odd flaw; I presume it is a supply problem (fast ones not available often?) or something, because it is fairly obvious and, in theory, easy to fix.

Added: Of course, this one is probably too loud, or too hard on batteries, or something. But I think I'll try it out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kierstead View Post
    Oh WOW, I've been totally wanting one of these but had no idea someone had made one. I got the idea from a electronic woodworking level with the a beeping feature, and since I am perpetually cockeyed (I cannot shoot handheld level to save my soul), I thought it would be wonderful to have in a cam level. Even better would be level in two planes, for when I handle hold the crown graphic and am looking to not get converging verticals; it is surprisingly hard to judge this by feel, and the viewfinder is too distorted to be reliable. More practice helps, of course, and I have been working on that.
    You are looking for one of these.

Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Perhaps I mis-understand Ulrich but it seems that one would risk setting the camera afire by using a torch. I'm just saying ...

Don Bryant
    "Torch" or "electric torch" seems to be the British term for "flashlight". Does that make sense to you? Otherwise you simply can take off the bellows, as Peter said. Thank you Peter, I didn't think of it.

Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    To put the question of levels to sleep... (?) Precise bubble levels have their full sens on precise cameras only, i.e. so called technical cameras (Linhof, Wista SP etc.) or metal monorails. These are so precisely built that once the camera is put to the level position, using their levels, all other corresponding parts are leveled - simply because of the precise manufacturing of the whole camera.
    That is not the case with wooden field cameras though. There the bubble levels have at best just general informative purpose, if not just a gimmick value. To have more than this you would need precise manufacturing of all their parts - as already mentioned, there is no meaning to put a precise bubble level on a camera with loose manufacturing tolerances and hope that the level will save the construction. But that kind of precise manufacturing is the realm of technical cameras, for obvious reasons. As with everything, you cannot have a cake and eat it...
    It is my hope, you are at least not on the ignore list of Hugo Zhang already.

Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    You are looking for one of these.
    Yes, yes I am. I'll be need to figure out how to import one of those. The second display unit is clever; I might be able to keep an eye on it in lieu of beeping (which is complicated in two directions, but would still be doable)

Originally Posted by GPS
    Precise bubble levels have their full sens on precise cameras only, i.e. so called technical cameras (Linhof, Wista SP etc.) or metal monorails. These are so precisely built that once the camera is put to the level position, using their levels, all other corresponding parts are leveled - simply because of the precise manufacturing of the whole camera.
    That is not the case with wooden field cameras though...

It is my hope, you are at least not on the ignore list of Hugo Zhang already.

Ulrich
    There's that quoting of someone on the Ignore List again. Even if he is on Hugo's, you've now ensured that Hugo will see him. It seems even I'm guilty of it in this quote of your quote.

Both my Ebony wooden field cameras exhibit absolute agreement between their built-in levels and precise external levels placed in contact with locations on the front, rear and base. More nonsense debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura;580530
    Both my Ebony [I
    wooden[/I] field cameras exhibit absolute agreement between their built-in levels and precise external levels placed in contact with locations on the front, rear and base. More nonsense debunked.
    To me, with the focusing problem resolved, the Chamonix is a fine camera. But the levels (on my N-1) are completely useless. Levels this tiny can not be of the precision they need to be to setup the camera straight, even if they would work as they should, what they do not do. I think nobody would miss them if they would be omitted. They are just not worth to compromise the reputation of this otherwise fine camera. There are other things in the handling of issues with this camera I do not understand either. But that's another story I do not want to discuss here.

Ulrich

...the Chamonix is a fine camera. But the levels (on my N-1) are completely useless. Levels this tiny can not be of the precision they need to be to setup the camera straight...
    I don't think size of the levels is a problem; they're not much smaller than those on my Ebony cameras.

Having examined a Chamonix camera's levels, I think the issue is how they're mounted. It seems the tubes are press-fit into very imprecise holders, which allows lots of freedom for ending up in different orientations. Exactly the opposite of Ebony's approach.

I think it is great that Chamonix has improved their cameras to the point that the only thing left to fix is the levels.

If I didn't just get an ebony, this camera would be on top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Both my Ebony wooden field cameras exhibit absolute agreement between their built-in levels and precise external levels placed in contact with locations on the front, rear and base. More nonsense debunked.
    If there is something debunked it's only your own technical ignorance, unfortunately.
    In the case of wooden field cameras (and all cameras for that matter), even if the bubble levels agree with a precise external level, for a control, it doesn't mean the standard, the camera, the film holder is really level. What it means is the bubble level is in the correct position. How big is the difference between its position and the position of the film holder depends, of course, on the manufacturing precision of all these parts on the camera. And that precision is always less than on more precise technical cameras. If the standard or the gg back is not square for example (other possibilities can also come in consideration) the position of the bubble doesn't necessarily indicate your film holder is correctly placed...
    I hoped I was on your ignore list, so please, make sure if functions correctly and you don't comment all the time on my posts. Pleasure will be on my side. Thanks.