Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Re: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    You don't need a torch if the bellows is removable. In this case place the camera in bright light.

Peter
    Perhaps I mis-understand Ulrich but it seems that one would risk setting the camera afire by using a torch. I'm just saying ...

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Perhaps I mis-understand Ulrich but it seems that one would risk setting the camera afire by using a torch. I'm just saying ...
    Why not

Sorry, a flashlight in the USA.

Peter

There are already enough flames in this thread.

The Boy Scout's oath: "Be prepared," comes to mind with regard to bubble levels as in this tutorial on Scheimpflug by Thomas Christopher Moore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4m70xr9mE

Built-in levels more than likely have a reputation of not being accurate.

And the moral of the story: "Get thyself a bullet level, or something comparable."

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    The Boy Scout's oath: "Be prepared," comes to mind with regard to bubble levels as in this tutorial on Scheimpflug by Thomas Christopher Moore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR4m70xr9mE

Built-in levels more than likely have a reputation of not being accurate.

And the moral of the story: "Get thyself a bullet level, or something comparable."
    Try this:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=2903

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    A bit expensive - but Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I don't remember one single person ever criticizing Linhof for putting a level on their $4,000 cameras in a position where it was basically useless. Yet Chamonix puts bubble levels all over their $800 camera and there's supposed to be a major problem with the camera because the levels might be half a degree off or whatever the problem with them is supposed to be. Amazing.
    Unlike you, I don't think that there's supposed to be a major problem with the Chamonix camera because of the levels. After all, if the levels are not satisfying you can always level the camera with an external bubble level. However amazing that can seem to you.
    Last edited by GPS; 17-Apr-2010 at 01:59.

Like Brian said the level on the linhof is useless because of its position on the camera, regardless of whether its accurate or not. In fact Ive never even checked mine for accuracy there's no point, its only useful if you carry a small pair of stepladders in your camera bag;-)

Ive never check the accuracy of the Chamonix levels either, again theres no point. In my sample the viscosity of the fluid is too thick. I enjoy the slow process of LF photography but I dont have the time or patience to wait for geriatric bubbles;-)
    Its all meaningless to me anyway.
    I prefer to use my eyes with the maxim, 'if it looks right it is right'!

I personally think that GPS has made some valuable contibutions regarding the Chamonix issues but I cant help wondering if theres a hidden agenda powering the enthusiasm.

The more I use the Chamonix the more I like it. In point of fact I prefer it to the vastly more expensive Lihof. But like a lot of things in life, this is subject to change without prior notice;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    I personally think that GPS has made some valuable contibutions regarding the Chamonix issues but I cant help wondering if theres a hidden agenda powering the enthusiasm.

The more I use the Chamonix the more I like it.
    Thanks Kevin. The hidden agenda, if any, behind my enthusiasm is my interest in view cameras construction. Regardless of their name...

To put the question of levels to sleep... (?) Precise bubble levels have their full sens on precise cameras only, i.e. so called technical cameras (Linhof, Wista SP etc.) or metal monorails. These are so precisely built that once the camera is put to the level position, using their levels, all other corresponding parts are leveled - simply because of the precise manufacturing of the whole camera.
    That is not the case with wooden field cameras though. There the bubble levels have at best just general informative purpose, if not just a gimmick value. To have more than this you would need precise manufacturing of all their parts - as already mentioned, there is no meaning to put a precise bubble level on a camera with loose manufacturing tolerances and hope that the level will save the construction. But that kind of precise manufacturing is the realm of technical cameras, for obvious reasons. As with everything, you cannot have a cake and eat it...