Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Re: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Nice review, thanks. I owned the first version and thought it was a great camera. The minimal little problems with it seem to have all been addressed in this latest version. IMHO this is a "best buy" in under $1000 field cameras and probably a best buy among all wooden 4x5 field cameras including some that cost much more such as Canham and Ebony.

The bubble levels are one of its best features - of the 14 or so LF cameras I've owned, I can offhand only think of one other that had as complete a set of bubble levels as the Chamonix and it was a $3,000 Linhof Technikardan. But they aren't good enough for some people. Amazing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Cool Re: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Steve,

Thanks for the review. Being a Noob myself and having the 045n-2 for a couple of weeks now, I even learned a few things from the review--finer points that I missed in using it.

I also am VERY impressed with the form, functionality, size and quality of this camera. Even a very experienced colleague of mine (who runs a photo center and museum with hundreds of large format cameras on display) was drooling over it when he took a look at it. I was lucky to get it back! He said it didn't get better than this, especially for this price (or 2 or 3 times the price).

I agree on the folding viewer. I'd like to like it, but I'm still not sure. I had to go out and purchase 2.75+ reading glasses to focus on the glass at that distance, but I guess that's my problem!

It's good to have other 045n-x users here, both old timers and noob's, to use as resources. I'm actually taking a 10 hour individual tutorial class on the view camera and film processing. It's quite enjoyable.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's results (and mine).

Brian,
    The on-board bubble levels work well for me as well. Responsive and fairly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    The minimal little problems with it seem to have all been addressed in this latest version. IMHO this is a "best buy" in under $1000 field cameras and probably a best buy among all wooden 4x5 field cameras including some that cost much more such as Canham and Ebony.
    Brian,

Thanks for pointing this out. People seem to want to overlook this fact. At this price point, Chamonix should be commended for making it possible to offer such a nice camera at the price. Not everyone is going to be happy with it. But they have other more expensive options to choose from. As a green-newb, I can't complain. I can't see any other novice user justifiably complaining either.

We're witnessing a small company experiencing growing pains. We should be thankful that they're not asking twice as much for the 45n-2.

If the Cham is not to your liking, there's always the Shen-Hao or the Tachihara.

You can satisfy some of the people some of the time, but you can't satisfy all of the people, all of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    The bubble levels are one of its best features - of the 14 or so LF cameras I've owned, I can offhand only think of one other that had as complete a set of bubble levels as the Chamonix and it was a $3,000 Linhof Technikardan. But they aren't good enough for some people. Amazing.
    There were many reports on this forum from the Chamonix 45N-1 users speaking about serious problems with the bubble levels - everything from inconsistency in readings of the individual levels, the wrong viscosity in them (too slow to react), mechanical malfunctions (falling from the camera), the wrong construction altogether or even being dried out completely, etc. The problem with these bubble levels were well known to the manufacturer to that point that even Hugo wrote about it suggesting that perhaps they will be replaced. What's so amazing then that some people don't find them enough?
    What I find much more amazing is your amazement about it - as you yourself once wrote in a thread (about Chamonix bubble levels!) that you never used these little levels on your camera(s)... Go wonder!

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    I have never seen the N-1 and can't comment regarding the bubble levels. If improvements were made, they are not on the official list. The levels on my camera seem to work pretty well. As for the rear standard marks...they are basically invisible as is the Chamonix maker's mark. (I just spied the maker's mark yesterday )

Steve
    Thanks for your answer, Steve. Would be interesting to know if they are the "old" bubble levels from the N-1 model or a new type. Hugo wrote once that Chamonix will perhaps change the current bubble levels type.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Thanks for your answer, Steve. Would be interesting to know if they are the "old" bubble levels from the N-1 model or a new type. Hugo wrote once that Chamonix will perhaps change the current bubble levels type.
    You don't remember this from one of your previous Chamonix-bashing episodes?:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...6634&postcount

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    You don't remember this from one of your previous Chamonix-bashing episodes?:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...6634&postcount
    Do you mean they are new types bubble levels with the old problems (inconsistency in readings)? In such a case the culprit must be manufacturing imprecision in the construction of the camera itself. Any idea..?
    By the way - in the linked thread, where is the bashing? Did Hugo bashed himself publicly?

There were many reports on this forum from the Chamonix 45N-1 users speaking about serious problems with the bubble levels - everything from inconsistency in readings of the individual levels, the wrong viscosity in them (too slow to react), mechanical malfunctions (falling from the camera), the wrong construction altogether or even being dried out completely, etc. The problem with these bubble levels were well known to the manufacturer to that point that even Hugo wrote about it suggesting that perhaps they will be replaced. What's so amazing then that some people don't find them enough?
    What I find much more amazing is your amazement about it - as you yourself once wrote in a thread (about Chamonix bubble levels!) that you never used these little levels on your camera(s)... Go wonder!
    Yawn

I didn't use the bubble levels because I didn't need them for the landscape photography I mostly do. You find that amazing? Why am I not surprised?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Do you mean they are new types bubble levels with the old problems (inconsistency in readings)? In such a case the culprit must be manufacturing imprecision in the construction of the camera itself. Any idea..?
    By the way - in the linked thread, where is the bashing? Did Hugo bashed himself publicly?
    My experience is that the levels are consistent (precise), quick to register, and easy to read. As for accuracy...I checked all the bubble levels against my small "bullet" level and found all to be somewhat off (say half a degree one way or the other). This does not particularly surprise me given the degree of manufacturing precision that would be needed to mount the small bubble levels with greater accuracy. I would say that they work as well or better than the type commonly sold to mount on a camera's accessory shoe.

I would characterize the built-in bubble levels as being very useful and handy. If absolute accuracy for leveling is desired, a bullet level as part of your kit is probably a better solution.

Steve