Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Re: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kierstead View Post
    I quite enjoyed your review and comments. Having been through some of the same process myself (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ead.php?t=8579) ...
    I thoroughly enjoyed your Newbie review of the Wisner. I particularly liked the running commentary regarding the frustration with existing gear, the reading of the books, the devouring of the Web sites, and the fumbling with the camera once it arrived. My experience parallels yours with the exception that I have had some exposure to view cameras over the years and had actually been shown how to operate a few models.

Since you were kind enough to share your first image (link was dead), I guess I can do the same:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28796087@N02/4542053313/

This was the second image actually...the first resulted in the subject, my daughter's doll, missing the top of its head. I often use the doll as a subject for lens and film tests. It is patient and does not mind staying stationary for long periods of time. I managed to miss some of the foreground focus, but know better now how to correct that.

Steve

P.S. I want to echo your comments regarding the weight of film holders. Ditto for roll film holders...

Dear Steve;
    Thank you for your very well written and insightful review. You've made a significant contribution to this forum and I'm sure most others find it as useful as I did. Thank you again.
    Denise Libby

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    Dear Steve;
    Thank you for your very well written and insightful review. You've made a significant contribution to this forum and I'm sure most others find it as useful as I did. Thank you again.
    Denise Libby
    Thank you Denise.

Steve

I have purchased a C2N 120/220 roll film holder/back. It didn't come with masks, but can shoot 6x7cm and 6x9cm. Is there an easy way to make a mask? I was hoping it might be as simple as finding some clear, acetate type material (something like the clear plastic you peel off the screen of a new phone or PDA) that could be printed on. That could be pressed onto the ground glass as a guide. That would be better than having to install a guide between the ground glass and the fresnel (or not?).

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by iogdka View Post
    I have purchased a C2N 120/220 roll film holder/back. It didn't come with masks, but can shoot 6x7cm and 6x9cm. Is there an easy way to make a mask? I was hoping it might be as simple as finding some clear, acetate type material (something like the clear plastic you peel off the screen of a new phone or PDA) that could be printed on. That could be pressed onto the ground glass as a guide. That would be better than having to install a guide between the ground glass and the fresnel (or not?).

Any suggestions?
    6x7 and 6x9? Woo! Hoo! Luxury!

As I mentioned via previous PM, I have been using a mask cut from card stock and placed between the GG and the lens. The GG holder has tabs on that side to accept something like this. (I think the tabs are a hold-over from the previous model where the fresnel was on that side.) A piece of matboard would probably work better. If you make something of this sort, remember to trim the corners to allow the bellows to vent.

The static sticker approach (applied directly to the rear cover glass) would probably work pretty well if you can find a source for the material. Maybe something like this: Printable Static Decal Film.

Steve
    Last edited by stevebrot; 29-Apr-2010 at 13:52.

Frisket is a low tack removable film which sticks and leaves no residue. Some of it comes tinted.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/iw...sk-frisk-film/

It has many other uses too.

I'd cut out a square frame (maybe a half centimeter wide?) and stick it on, that way you can see what is in the frame, but the rest of the gg is still available if you want to use 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by iogdka View Post

Any suggestions?
    If you mean Calumet RF holders they don't have any masks. They are made just for one film format - either 6x7 or 6x9 or 6x12. If you mask it to a smaller format you will not be able to use the winding mechanism correctly for your new format.

GPS, He is talking about masking the 4x5 ground glass. Calumet used to supply a clear mask, but I never found it super accurate. For mine I made one out of black paper and slipped it under the glass clips. To make the mask I shot a 4x5 then shot a 6x9, processed the film and then overlayed the film matching the subjects and marked the 6x9 format on the 4x5. Then made a black paper mask from the marked 4x5.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

@iogdka...

You are asking about a GG mask to aid in composition as opposed to an image mask for the C2N?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    GPS He is talking about masking the 4x5 ground glass. Calumet used to supply a clear mask, but i never found it super accurate. For mine I made one out of black paper and slipped it under the glass clips. To make the mask I shot a 4x5 then shot a 6x9 processed the film and then overlayed the film matching the subjects and marked the 6x9 format on the 4x5. Then made a black paper mask from the marked 4x5.
    I just checked it and got it, Kirk. Thanks.