Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao XPO45 experiences?

Shen Hao XPO45 experiences?

I have a Shen Hao PTB45 (Chamonix 045N1 copy). It has its good sides, but I am not very happy with it. Setting it up takes a while and the lack of any locks for zero positions means that you must always check everything with a loupe even if you aren't using any movements.

Thus I thought a non folding model might be worth to look at. A Ebony 45S or SU would be great for what I do (mainly landscapes/nature), but Ebony is very expensive. I thought the Shen Hao XPO45 might be an alternative as I hardly want to go wider than 65mm.

Any XPO45 users around? Experiences? Can I expect it to work well with a 65mm and a bag bellows? How does it compare to Ebony 45S?

Lachlan 717

Re: Shen Hao XPO45 experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolle View Post
    I have a Shen Hao PTB45 (Chamonix 045N1 copy). It has its good sides, but I am not very happy with it. Setting it up takes a while and the lack of any locks for zero positions means that you must always check everything with a loupe even if you aren't using any movements.

Thus I thought a non folding model might be worth to look at. A Ebony 45S or SU would be great for what I do (mainly landscapes/nature), but Ebony is very expensive. I thought the Shen Hao XPO45 might be an alternative as I hardly want to go wider than 65mm.

Any XPO45 users around? Experiences? Can I expect it to work well with a 65mm and a bag bellows? How does it compare to Ebony 45S?
    Have you searched first?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

no, haven't used one but in my experience, the chamonix 45n-1 and 2 are superior cameras compared to the other shen hao folding 4x5's. The only movement on the 45n-2 that doesn't have a zero lock is front swing (it has two dot's) but if locked down, it doesn't move. Using a 65mm on the 45n-2 isn't ideal w/o bag bellows (due to the bellows pleats getting in the way of the rear element) but it can be done.

The XPO was designed for a specific set of requirements, including the support of short lenses and the ability to use a Sinar shutter. Thus, it is Sinar-compatible, with support for bellows and lens boards. It also comes with an adapter that allows the mounting of Technika lens boards. The back includes an international back. With the appropriate bellows, it will handle very short lenses.

The one question I cannot answer, even recalling all the previous threads on this camera, is which zero detents it has. Perhaps that was mentioned, but it would take some considerable reading to dig out this factoid. So, Lachlan, can you answer that one?

Rick "wondering how Badger Graphic hopes to sell these cameras with such a sparse and uninformative description of it on their web site" Denney

Richard Brown

I would recommend you get the extra $$$ together for an ebony 45S... took mine to france this spring and loved using it as usual. Just bought a deardorff 8x10 and a canham 5x7(for its panoramic back) so I am selling my 45S for $2300... pm me if you are interested. Believe me, the workmanship and the ease of use are worth it. Great camera.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Rick "wondering how Badger Graphic hopes to sell these cameras with such a sparse and uninformative description of it on their web site" Denney
    +1. I've been scratching my head over one model versus another for some time, if I decide to buy a new camera.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post

The one question I cannot answer, even recalling all the previous threads on this camera, is which zero detents it has. Perhaps that was mentioned, but it would take some considerable reading to dig out this factoid. So, Lachlan, can you answer that one?

Hi, Rick.

Mine has zero detents on both front and rear tilt.

Both the front and rear standards' frame is flush with the body when square, so it's easy to zero by touch.

Rise/fall is zeroed via scale on the front; only rise on the rear, so it's centred when "bottomed out".

As for other information, happy to answer any questions as best I can.
    Lachlan.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by richard brown View Post
    I would recommend you get the extra $$$ together for an ebony 45S... took mine to france this spring and loved using it as usual. Just bought a deardorff 8x10 and a canham 5x7(for its panoramic back) so I am selling my 45S for $2300... pm me if you are interested. Believe me, the workmanship and the ease of use are worth it. Great camera.
    Richard
    You make unsubstantiated recommendations for the Ebony and then go on to announce that you're selling your Ebony.

Good to read that you're not biased and with full and open objectivity. (Note the sarcasm).
    Lachlan.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Rolle View Post
    Hopefully you've read some of the reports etc. on the XPO.

Here are the main features that I wanted in ONE camera when I commissioned Mr Zhang to build me the prototype XPO:

*I wanted to be able to use my 72mm on this without a recessed board;
    *I wanted plenty of movement, even at 72mm;
    *I wanted to be able to use Sinar sized boards, bellows and shutters;
    *I wanted more than 350mm draw;
    *I wanted separate rise/tilt tightening knobs; and,
    *I wanted this to be as compact as possible.

It does all of these (over 400mm draw, for what it's worth).

I know of no other 4x5 field camera that allows me to shoot easily in the field with shuttered lenses AND with barrel lenses/Sinar shutter for people "stuff".

Given the XPO does all of this, and is listed at just over a quarter of the Ebony's price, I could NEVER justify paying the difference.

It has always been my contention that you buy the cheapest camera that you can afford, and the most expensive glass that you can afford.
    Lachlan.

Richard Brown

Oh Lachlan..... if only I had known that you had commissioned and, it would seem, designed the shen hao..... well I would never have considered suggesting that the ebony was a great camera... what an amazing man you must be...
    or does that mean that you're not biased and with full and open objectivity. (Note the sarcasm).
    Back at ya, big guy....
    A friend here bought a shen hao a couple of years ago and to be honest, it was rickety, poorly assembled and the lacquer was so thick that you couldn't even slide a film holder under the hinged back. I have also heard of folks very happy with theirs. And I was simply stating that the ebony is beautifully built..... I don't think that needs to be substantiated unless you are one of the "special" people.
    Cheers... Richard