Thread: Ebony all-weather focusing cloth

Ebony all-weather focusing cloth

Hey folks. I've been lurking here since buying my first large format system bac k in Dec (Tachihara, 4x5) and I've got a dark cloth question for you all. I've read the archives for answers to the "what's the best dark cloth" question and h ave seen all the BTZS tube/old t-shirt/horse blanket with velcro answers but I d idn't see any opinions on the Ebony cloth. It looks like the built in frame wou ld make a handy lens shade and the fact that it's meant to cover the whole camer a would be handy in the rain (last Sunday here in Boston). Has anyone tried it? Do you like it? Does it catch too much wind?

Thanks, Dean

Ebony all-weather focusing cloth

Dean, I use the regular version of the ebony cloth - smaller and without the plastic lens shade inserts. This version is small and folds up into a tiny, lightweight package - it will easily stuff into a deep trouser pocket!! It is VERY dark underneath and comes with velcro attached to provide a seal. It is the same rainproof material as the larger version and still big enough to pull out over the lens as a shade (the Ebony lens shade clip comes in handy!). Its great not to have to carry my old cloth which is HEAVY when compared to the ebony.